This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas Gift for Mgr.?

Just wondering ..... do you and/or your associates give a gift to your retail manager?

And does your manager give YOU a gift? Or do anything special during this "season of good will"?

How about your corporate home offices, if you work under them?

I usually take up a collection about three pay periods before, asking each crewmember to chip in at least two dollars or more if they wish and then I go a get our manager something. Last year we gave her a day at a spa and this year we gave her a visa gift card so she could purchase whatever she wants. Our company owners give us a Christmas party every year for all four of our stores. The last two years we have had it at a bowling alley, lots of munchies and pop, free bowling for three hours, door prizes and a Christmas present. The present is always something with the store logo on it. Things like duffel bags, backpacks, watches, and this year a HUGE beach towel. It is always a good time, we are a resturant and we have lots of teens so the bowling is right up their "alley".

Comment

We usually each give about $10 or so to the assist. dept. manager to get Bossman and his wife a gift certificate to a snazzy restaurant for Christmas.

Of course, there are some that choose not to participate. Not me, though. I always make sure I carry a ten in December.

(This has been the same setup since I started there in Oct. 2003. I wonder if it's even a surprise to him anymore. )
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

At work, it was my great idea to get $10 gift cards for EVERYONE that works at my store. I got the manager and the other assistant manager to go in on it.

THEY decided that it would be everyone BUT us 3. I'm going to give them each $10.
        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I have the desire to put a letter of resignation in a Christmas card
          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

I'm just a selfish little brat, but I was one of the few who didn't go in on getting the room runners or my boss a Christmas present.

If a coworker is one of my good friends outside of work, that's a different story.

My money is going towards presents for people I actually love and care about, and people who love me no matter what in return. My family comes first and foremost. It's not always about the present itself or the cost, but I'd rather put a smile on my family's faces and my bf's than spend $3 on a jackass and a bitch who try to make every night at work a living hell for me, and $5 more on a boss who is salaried and never has to go through what we do.

Hey, before anyone jumps on me, I already admitted I'm a selfish brat, and that's exactly what I said to my coworker who was in horror and almost tears when I refused to donate to the funds for the room runners and our boss.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My office is quite vital in the running of our government department. So we get lots of tins of chocolates and bottles of wine. My manager ran off home with the vino and left us with a tin of choc and a box of cheese crackers!
              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Both our store manager and assistant manager got a present this year . . .

Dart boards.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The only time I got a present for my store manager was when I picked her for Secret Santa. Usually in my stores the management staff would give gifts among themselves but that was it. I did get gifts from my boss(es) this year. My old boss got me the Webkinz Chihuahua (sort of a joke) and my new boss gave me a gift card for the Gap (which he forgot to sign so I don't know how much is on it...)

This year we chipped in to get my (old) boss a gift, which was really a mean joke but he won't get it so it was just a nice thing from his staff as far as he knows. There's only 7 of us, though, so it's not a huge undertaking. With upwards of 60 staff in the store during the holidays, I wouldn't expect everyone to do that if I were the manager.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Everybody at my branch of the bank chips in $10 and the head teller goes out and buys the branch manager a big gift certificate to JC Penney. We also chip in and get her a gift certificate for national bosses day (this year it was for the expensive Japanese steakhouse in town).
                    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

I always buy small gifts for my staff. But then it's easy to buy something personal for each of them as there are only 4 of us total. I think it's nice to do, but wouldn't / couldn't do it if there were more of us. Regional Bossman also gave us £15 each towards a party or night out, plus I'm splitting half of my Christmas bonus between my 3 staff.

Comment

Well, 10 of us contributed $10.00 each to get our Store Manager a $100.00 gift certificate at a local fine restaurant. What did she get us? Nothing.

Comment

I have always just baked up a storm and brought cookies for EVERYONE at work. But my manager at the job I just quit to take my new one was so amazingly cool that even though he is no longer my boss I am sewing him a blanket and a little baby hat for his first child, which is due in April.
                          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

From both sides...

I supervise 6 people in a medium-sized state university library. I spend between $25 and $30 on each of them (restaraunt gift cards, gas cards, booze, mail-order goodies, imported beer, etc.), and I give little "stocking stuffer-ish" gifts to about 2 dozen others in my immediate work area. [I also give my six birthday cards with $ in them...bribery works )
                            I give MY immediate supervisor a bottle of GOOD wine (but nothing so expensive that I'm seen as an obvious butt-smoocher), and similarly valued gifts to other "professional" types nearby who are very generous with their assistance and support through the year.
                            In return, I may or may not get anything from any of my "supervisees", but you can be assured that I'm pretty well thought of. My boss goes the extra mile to shield me from the upper-level administrative detritus, as well as giving me advanced warning for impending sh*t storms.

Comment

Working...
                            X