This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working tomorrow?

At all of my previous jobs there really wasn't an incentive to work on holidays. Nevermind that, you didn't get holidays off either. The companies I worked for were serious penny-pinchers, I guess, because at my current job I am working tomorrow, but I'll be making some SERIOUS CASH! Further, even if I wasn't working tomorrow, I would still be getting holiday pay. No bonus, but that's besides the point. So how are ya'lls' situations?
    Yes, with holiday pay
    26.00%
    Yes, and my company's full of bastards
    8.00%
    No, but I've got holiday pay
    40.00%
    No, and the phone will be unplugged, so BLEH
    26.00%

The poll is expired.

You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

The poll has no answer that would work for me. I AM working tomorrow, not with any special holiday pay, but I don't consider the company to be run by bastards. Holiday pay is unheard of in the restaurant bar industry, at least in my 21 years of experience (mostly in Arizona and Florida), but I am happy to be working tomorrow, and hope to be busy. And am going out with some friends tonight, as I have today off for some reason (though this doesn't bode well for me getting New Year's Eve off as I had wanted!), and we are going to get dressed up and have some fun. And hopefully flirt with girls. Well, me anyways....two of the three I am going out with ARE girls.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I get to drag my butt into work at 10:00 tomorrow night to set ad and get the store ready for the hordes of post-Christmas shoppers and returners.

Good news is I'll be getting 10 hours of holiday pay--for the 8 hours I worked today and 2 tomorrow. (at least I think I will be getting holiday pay). Plus it is the last overnight shift I'll work for a year, unless something comes up.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I didn't have to work today and I don't have to work on Christmas. The day shift did have to work today, but not the night shift.
        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I picked the answer closest to my situation, which is I don't get holiday pay, but I get time and a half. So I'm getting *something* at least.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

The Kitty is now closed as of 6 p.m. this evening and will stay closed tomorrow.

My last truck came in on Sunday and I left right before 4 after getting the stock put onto the shelves and running some backstock.

Oh, and I was off today too.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I got out at Noon today and I don't have to work tomorrow either. Gotta love those bank holidays. Not only that but I do get 15 minutes of overtime since the manager had us come in 15 minutes early to exchange secret Santa gifts before the branch opened.
              Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

The grocery store where I work is open from 8 to 4 tomorrow. Lucky me is the only one in my department scheduled. I'm sure sooo many people will be wanting fish. Oh well at least it's an extra $2.00/hr. Every little bit helps.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Never worked in a job that was open on Christmas. It's a paid holiday, though I am salaried now so it doesn't really matter for me anymore. I worked today, though, but got out an hour and a half early. In the past I've had to work the day after Christmas at 6am, to sticker calendars and cards and holiday Bargain books 50% off. Fun times. Other than tomorrow, I am working my normal week. I would have taken today off but I used my last floating holiday for Thanksgiving weekend and then I was starting a new job so I figured I should work, since I hadn't already put in for the day off.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I am not working tomorrow, the shifts were voluntary and filled up before I could sign up for one.. I think the incentive of time and a half plus $50 (4-5 hour shift) or $100 (6-8 hour shift) plus holiday pay if you qualify made those go really fast.

Comment

I have Monday and Tuesday off (with holiday pay!), work Wednesday and Thursday, then Friday and Saturday off.
                      I did offer to work Monday; I could use the double-time-and-a-half pay!
                      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Yes. des[ite the fact I'm full time I om;y have to work four hours and I get time and a half.
                        so, I'm a bit drunk tonight, and will be at work for 12:30pm tomorrow, and I DON'T CARE. I have presents, and alcohol, and boy and I am happy.
                        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Okay, reading over some of the responses, perhaps I should've been more clear in the options. What I was trying to determine, first and foremost, was whether or not you got holiday pay and whether it was dependent on you working on a holiday. For example, I had ONE previous job where if you worked on a holiday, you got holiday pay. At my current job, you have to sign up to work a holiday. If you normally have the day off, that means you get holiday pay + overtime if you DON'T work it.

Assuming you did work it, at least in that situation, it'd be double holiday pay + overtime or something of that nature. In any case, most of the time, a company will actually required you to be there to earn the holiday pay. So, I guess what I was shooting for was...

Are you working on Christmas (today)? If so, are you getting paid holiday pay? If not, are you still getting holiday pay? That's about it. In any case, I'm at work right now and honestly, even though it's just me and another dude, I've barely taken any calls. I thought there'd be several people calling in trying to get their PWESHUS ECCHS-BOX LIVE working, but no.

On the darker side, my DS is already in the red...some I'm VERY bored. And yes, Rune Factory still kicks ass. Any game that lets you plant flowers, water them, give them to your "precious," and then turn around and BEAT THE PISS OUT OF MONSTERS earns a special place in my heart.
                          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Two things I like about the office job that I took after leaving the retail world: No customers, and paid holidays. And since I usually take the whole block of days from Christmas to New Years off, as of the end of the day Friday, I've been off for the year.

Watching Christmas Vacation with my son right now.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                              For example, I had ONE previous job where if you worked on a holiday, you got holiday pay.
                              In my previous job, we got time and a half if we worked a holiday... unless we were already on overtime, in which case it was still just the time and a half we would have gotten anyway. If we weren't scheduled to work the holiday, we got zip (say the holiday was on Monday, and my schedule was Tuesday through Saturday). Since I always either had off or was already on overtime, I didn't get a cent of holiday pay in three years. (Meanwhile, the Monday - Friday office staff got paid days off for Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas Eve and Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. They never understood why those of out in the field who worked odd hours didn't see that as being very fair.)

In my current job, if the holiday was a Monday and my schedule was Tuesday through Saturday, I'd get paid for six days that week. Anybody who works holidays gets double time and a half.

For better or worse, even though I work in a 24/7 call center, my particular department never works holidays (or weekends).
                              I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Working...
                              X