This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Paper Trail

I've worked in call centers, I've worked as a Receptionist, Hostess and now as a Sales Floor Associate. I've seen people get fired and/or arrested for things like giving customers things they're not supposed to, stealing, you name it. More than once I've seen and heard of co-workers get fired and arrested for credit card fraud (and this was committed on company premises!!! ).Now I just found out a cashier ( dunno if it was at my store or another store) gave a customer an employee discount on a purchase and when the customer came back to return it the cashier was caught and fired (because the employee number shows up on the receipt). I just don't get how some people think that they won't get caught and that there is no paper trail to prove it. Hopefully this isn't boring anybody here, I just had to put in my .
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

That's why you gotta be careful.

...Not that i do such a thing.

Comment

Ya just gotta know the workarounds for those transactions.
      Not that I am condoning anything like that.
      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Was she fired for giving the person the discount when they weren't eligible, or because she used her own number? Cuz in my experience, the former was overlooked (technically it's only you and your dependents who get your discount but they don't care much as long as you're not giving to everybody and their brother) but ringing up a discount with your own number is a fireable offense.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Some people really aren't that bright and don't realize certain things.

Little Miss Sticky Fingers at the gas station, when being arrested for stealing cigarettes and lotto tickets and cash, said that she didn't know the security cameras worked in the DARK.

Yes, they sure do. They saw you take half a roll of lottery tickets (which you also made the mistake of not accounting for on the lotto sheet, that would have at least gotten you off the hook for an extra day or two!), empty a carton of cigarettes into a garbage bag, and take all the bills out of the 100/50 spot (which the register was off precisely that amount!) and then take your garbage bag and stuffed purse and go outside and lock the door.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

BE, the person that did get the employee discount was ineligible. The customer wasn't even a dependent or family member to begin with, which was what got that employee fired.
            Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 01-07-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

tropicsgoddess, how did the return-worker even know the person returning goods wasn't related to the employee? I would think a friend would be smart enough to claim to be a sister (or mother), if the question even arose. Most people I've met would just assume unless confronted with the question in some way. Did the ex-employee just not consider the consequences? Too stupid to think he'd get caught?
              "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I had something like this occur when I worked at Blockbuster Video back in 2001-2002.

Employees have accounts at the store, and are allowed to rent, for free, movies that are non-Redtagged, up to 7 movies per week (or at least, that's how ours worked, it was a franchise, not corporate). Now, employees had to be checked out by a manager, and had to physically hand their rentals back in to a manager for them to be checked back in immediately. If the movies were late, the employee had to pay the late fees at the moment they were turned in, they could not have a balance on their account.

Enter Genius Boy.

GB has been working with us for a while, and seems relatively good as a worker. Then, he decided to rent some movies one night.

He kept them out too long, however, and had some late fees. So, what did he do?

He (somehow, we never did figure out how) got hold of the AM's password to the computer, and went in and credited off his late fees on his EMPLOYEE account.

Now, what makes this ESPECIALLY dumb was the fact that he KNEW that at the end of his shift, a big long string of paper would print out, showing all the credits that were issued on his register. From coupons to free rentals earned to item cancellations, they all show up.

And yes, the credit to HIS account, with the AM's number showing as the one who did it.

Needless to say, he was told to get out, and stay out. And why did he do this?

"I didn't think anyone would notice."
                Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
                  tropicsgoddess, how did the return-worker even know the person returning goods wasn't related to the employee? I would think a friend would be smart enough to claim to be a sister (or mother), if the question even arose. Most people I've met would just assume unless confronted with the question in some way. Did the ex-employee just not consider the consequences? Too stupid to think he'd get caught?
                  There's a database as to who is logged on the system to get discount cards and such.

Comment

Working...
                  X