Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss and entire dep't absent... what to do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss and entire dep't absent... what to do?

So my four person department consists of me, a peer, a boss, and an intern.

All but me are absent today.

What should I do to take advantage of this? I'm thinking amusing but harmless cubicle pranks. Leave post its with incongruous messages all over the office? Send out several urgent bulletins about jellybeans for them to find when they show up in the morning? Hide the pens?
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Are the chairs adjustable? Putting the seat all the way down is a favorite around my old department. All the fun of making someone fall without the pesky getting people hurt part...

Putting them all the way up can be fun, too, especially if the person is especially short...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Desk drawers are easy to switch.

Comment

tape over the sensors on the computers mouse (if its an optical) or secretly replace their mouse ball with jelly beans (if they have an old school mouse). I guess since its a work environment then goatse is out, sorry had to. Wrap all their office supplies in wrapping paper. Put a great big pink bow on their chair.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

One quick note will provide HOURS of entertainment.

"I only did ONE thing... and I apologize PROFUSELY for it..."

*Works best on suspicious, nasty people.

Comment

ooh, tape on the mouse is fun...in my old office we also have "R2D2" scanners like the ones on the store registers. A bit of black cloth or paper taped over the glass is a good one, too.

Another fun one: switch the M and N keys on the keyboard. It was funny but the guy this was done to had one of those letters in his password, so they tipped him off after he tried it a couple times so he wouldn't get locked out.

I was out on Friday and came in Monday to a pushpin smiley face on my cube wall.

We have lots of toys around, too, and they sometimes end up in, um, compromising positions...if your office is laid-back enough for that...
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-27-2007, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
              What should I do to take advantage of this?
              There are plenty of pointers in the "Things I'm Not Allowed to Do At Work" thread.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Change all Computer Wallpapers to LOLCats.

Put something under the desk legs to raise it an inch or two and lower their chair a bit.

Fill the fridge top to bottom with an obscure pop; Jolt, Mountan Lightning, or Fresca.

Adjust all the clocks off by 5 minutes.

Leave a bowl of porridge on the desk by the adjusted chair and a lock of curly blonde hair.

Reverse everything in their office; everything on the right to the left and everything on the left to the right.

Hide the coffee pot.
                "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post

Adjust all the clocks off by 5 minutes.

:
                  Make every clock randomly different.

Turn everyone's monitor contrast/brightness to zero?
                  3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                  - Order from the menu.
                  - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                  - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Maybe I am mega boring but I am often alone in my office so I just get my book out and start reading

We don't have the Net at work, cos I work for the government and they don't want crazy terrorists hacking us or something. Or they are just too damn cheap.
                    No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Here's a good harmless prank:

Instead of hiding the coffepot (which would probably incite a riot and cause bodily harm) switch the coffee in the pot to decaf.

And two more words for you: Tesla Coil.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

A little scotch tape over the phone handset button makes for a phone that keeps ringing after you pick up.

Turn the mouse sensativity way down, so you have to use the whole mouse pad to move a couple of inches.

Switch monitor inputs (but leave monitors in place) if computers are close enough together.

Someone use speakers on the computer a lot? Plug in some headphones and turn them way down. They'll think the speakers don't work.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Probably not the best to do if you have diabetic people in the office, but put sugar in each and every cup as well as in the coffee pot.

Make a massive paper clip chain out of all the paperclips in the office and hang it up on the walls like a paper chain.

Bluetac everything moveable on the desk, like pens, pencils, mousemat etc to the desk.

Turn the brightness way up, and make the colours go to black and white on the computers.

Unplug all the mice. Put in the kitchen with a lump of cheese next to them.

The last one, a mate of mine did to super effect by taking his sister's old hamster cage and putting all the computer mice into it. No sawdust there, by the way; just an empty water bottle and feeding bowl. XD
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
                            Change all Computer Wallpapers to LOLCats.

Put something under the desk legs to raise it an inch or two and lower their chair a bit.
                            A guy in my old office swears that chocolate labs are evil and out to get him, so I started changing his wallpaper to the cutest chocolate lab puppy pictures I could find. Until he got smart and started locking his computer when he left the room.

Unfortunately our desks are attached to the cube wall and don't have legs.

Turn all the chairs upside down...

Put neon pink paper in the printer.

If you have nameplates on your cubes, switch 'em up a bit!

Comment

If the cubicles are close enough swap mouse connections with their neighbours and keyboard connections with different neighbours, but leave said desktop kit in original location.

put the entire office back to front

use lots of blu tack on telehphone receivers so when you pick up the handle the entire phone comes with you
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                              X