This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I look that young?

Wednesday and Thursday were my two days working this week. I wasn't operating the plant, so I actually had to do some work. And boy, did I get put to work those two days.
    I am so sore, from my toes to my neck. My head isn't sore, because I didn't have to think that hard. I was doing manual labor.
    Lots of bending, stooping and kneeling. And when your knees are as bad as mine, kneeling is just about the worse thing you can do. My knees are swollen to about this size of basketballs; I'm hobbling around, walking with a very obvious limp.

So yesterday afternoon, I'm walking next to one of the lift station guys (LSG). Even though I am limping and walking very slowly, I am still faster than he is, which I joke with him about it.

LSG: Well, I'm twice your age. Of course I'm going to be slow.
    Me: Twice my age? Nah, I don't think so. You don't look 72.
    LSG: What, aren't you, like, 25 years old? 26?
    Me: Pssh! I wish! I'm 35, almost 36.
    LSG: Whaaa? No way. You don't look it.
    Me: I have a hyperbaric chamber I sleep in. And those Botox injections help, too.

LSG laughs and we talk a bit more. You know, shop talk kinda talk.

He's not the first person to think I am 10 years younger than I actually am. Most people are shocked when they learn how old I really am.

I guess that I should count that as a blessing.

Just hope it doesn't catch up to me; That I get old really quick. When I turn 40, I'll look 60.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

I got asked if I was 12... when I was 20.

I feel your pain, man. I'm always shocked when I go out for a drink and I'm not carded. I'm only 22 now, for goodness sake. That makes me look, what, 14?
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

People have pegged me at anywhere from 16 to 25. Since I was 14. But it hasn't changed at all since then, so I figure I'll hit 25 and everyone will suddenly be able to tell my age to the month.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Seriously, take it as a compliment!

I may whine constantly about people thinking I'm 16 when I'm actually 20, but I know one day it will come in handy. If I can get carded when I'm in my 30s or beyond, hell, I'll hug the clerk!

I had a trainee (she was actually someone else's but they were too busy to train her, but they wanted to be fair, so since we have some of the same machines as they do, they gave her to me for 2 weeks to get her caught up) and she and I got along instantly like old friends. I asked her one day when her 21st birthday was so we could go out.

She started laughing so hard there were tears starting to well. I asked her what was so funny. She whispered her real age into my ear. And no, I won't tell it. I was sworn to secrecy. And I haven't told anyone.

All I will say is if she looks this good after going tanning for 20 years, there still is hope for me
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

The funny thing with me is that things were the opposite. I always looked older than I was. I got served in bars from the time I was 15. I always beat the guy at the amusement park that tried to guess your age. I've always been mistaken for being older. To tell you the truth, I really enjoyed it.

The problem now is that I still look older than what I really am. It's not so much fun when they think you're retirement age and I'm 54.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
            The funny thing with me is that things were the opposite. I always looked older than I was. I got served in bars from the time I was 15. I always beat the guy at the amusement park that tried to guess your age. I've always been mistaken for being older. To tell you the truth, I really enjoyed it.

The problem now is that I still look older than what I really am. It's not so much fun when they think you're retirement age and I'm 54.
            One advantage is you can get senior discounts.

I'm 50 and look in my late 30s, I've always looked young. I actually got carded the other day.
            Secret Shopper RN

Comment

i was mistaken for 18 between age 10 and 13 alot. now i look my age

Comment

I'm at the point where I don't get carded anymore if I'm out with my parents. And it's not like my parents care. I still haven't tried buying something from a liquor store though. I'm too scared of being caught and getting into trouble. I gotta keep a clean record for when I want to end up with the FBI.

Most people tend to think I'm older than I really am by a few years. During my previous summer job, the summer before senior year of high school, people were asking me when I was going back to college. Going back? Heck, I haven't even started. At this point, I don't mind being mistaken for being a lil older than I am. At 19, that's a good thing.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

One thing doctors will write in their H&Ps (History and Physical) about patients is "looks younger than stated age" or "looks older than stated age". They don't always, but do so when it's a significant deviation from the norm.
                  Secret Shopper RN

Comment

everybody thinks i'm older than i am, what i usually get when i tell people i'm not 18 is

Comment

I usually get guesses that are anywhere between 6 and 8 years low. I'm 42, but the highest most people guess is 36.
                      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I miss getting carded. :wistful sigh:
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          The good old days.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            Me too. :sigh:
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm 20 and I've had mixed opinions. Some people have told me that I look older, others say that I look my age, while others have stated that I look younger. I think the best one has to be younger as a friend of mine once said that I haven't changed a bit since my 16th birthday.
                              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Working...
                              X