This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Much

Yesterday, I was helping my co-worker M wrap up some brownies, when I tried to ask him if he got more brownies out from the freezer. What came out was, "Did you flukensnagk abbidusenta?"

Shockingly he responded with, "Yeah I already got out more brownies."

Has anyone else ever had a moment when they were talking with a co-worker and the only thing that comes out is a garbled mess of sounds. And is actually understood what was said.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Quoth Trayol View Post
    Has anyone else ever had a moment when they were talking with a co-worker and the only thing that comes out is a garbled mess of sounds. And is actually understood what was said.
    Not one moment. A lot, actually.

I guess the Becky-Rest of the World/Rest of the World-Becky translating dictionaries I hand out help.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

When my sister was a toddler I used to have to translate what she said for my Mother all the time. When my niece was a toddler I started doing the same thing for her. Her Mother (my sister) didn't remember the language---madeup? I don't know---she used to speak with me but on some deep fundamental level I do. Me and my niece used to have entire conversations in it. She's 9 now and doesn't remember anymore. But I can still speak it. No one else understands.
      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Those must have been the special brownies.
        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Yeah, I've had moments like that. But more often I'm the one going "Yeah, did that." 'Cause I'm pychic! ...
          Okay, not really, I just read body language decently, and most people either turn to what they're talking about, or make little gestures.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

In college, I roomed with a guy who ended up being a really good friend after awhile. I was still growing out of my scared-to-be-social post-highschool phase, and would respond to him in "grunt." Uh-huh, uhhhh-hurmm, and mmm-hmm, were used, for example. It was pretty funny, because one day he realized that he could understand a fairly complicated concept ("Stick volume 4 into the VCR") even though I hadn't vocalized a single word.

Fortunately, I'm much better at talking to people now.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I have a girl at work that is like that with me. It's not usually garbled messages so much as incomplete messages though. When we're really in the groove it's just one or two words and everything is understood on both ends. I love having coworkers like that. All the rest of my coworkers right now don't understand what I'm asking even with complete, clear sentences.
              "Any free samples?"
              "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

My SO and his best friend have a language that I think is all their own.

SO: Hmfngah grbleshga?

Friend: Hm, pfyah.

Translation:

SO: Could you pass me a chimichanga?

Friend: Here you go.

SO: G'feh shrah?

Friend: Iyah, pshaa. Myaaah.... faaak.

Translation:

SO: Can I have a drag of your cigarette?

Friend: Sure, but I thought you quit.

I am not even exaggerating.
                My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

At my work we tend to say things like "Hand me that thingamabob" or "How do you get the thingamajig to do that thingie?". Don't know why, but it seems to work.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Oh yeah, quite a few times.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

A co-worker of mine randomly replaces what she meant to say with some other random word, it can make for some funny moments. "Yea, the hamburger is in the dishwasher."

When I'm overly tired, I tend to lose the thread of whatever I'm saying and start saying completely random things. This can result in considerable confusion... "For our daily specials today I have squirrels running across the yard with hardhats...wait, no... what did I just say?"
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                        When I'm overly tired, I tend to lose the thread of whatever I'm saying and start saying completely random things. This can result in considerable confusion... "For our daily specials today I have squirrels running across the yard with hardhats...wait, no... what did I just say?"
                        I say things like that sometimes. Usually when I'm asleep, but I think I've done something like that at work.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                          Yesterday, I was helping my co-worker M wrap up some brownies, when I tried to ask him if he got more brownies out from the freezer. What came out was, "Did you flukensnagk abbidusenta?"

Shockingly he responded with, "Yeah I already got out more brownies."

For some reason, this reminded me of two Cartoon Network characters who only communicate with a single word, yet are somehow understood by everyone else. Miss Coco and Schnitzel, to be exact.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                            "Yea, the hamburger is in the dishwasher."
                            <snip>
                            "For our daily specials today I have squirrels running across the yard with hardhats...wait, no... what did I just say?"
                            You've been at my house!
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I don't really have a language but I do have a word - "Neegiba!" which roughly translates to "I'm behind this door, stop trying to open it you're squishing me!"
                              "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

Working...
                              X