Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ringing in the New year in a hospital room...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing in the New year in a hospital room...

I was working midnight shift news year eve to new years day.

Now at my store we have a McDonalds on premesis (sic), they closed at 7 PM. All of the staff was asked to come to another store in town to help cause they were getting hammered with customers.

The manager, who I'm really good friends with, and his wife (who was manager at the other store) come in to take care of some things and do inventory. Wife decides to sweep up and mop cause the crew really didn't do a good job of it before closing up.

I take care of some things and go to the back to start filling my mop bucket to mop my half of the store. I hear the jingle of the front door chime.

I come out and guy says he wants to get gas. I start walking behind the counter and

SLIP!

The McDonalds floor is just slick enough that my right foot shoots out from under me and up in the air and I crash to my back.

I stick my hand out to try and grab the counter and save myself, but I grab a candy display and slice my hand open at the pinky a good inch or so.

Guy starts asking if I'm alright and if I need help. I get up, go to the back shouting for Jack (the manager whom I'm friends with) his wife sees the aftermath, and starts screaming for him as well. The customer says he'll go elsewhere.

We do a quick wrap and I call my manager who, god bless her, get's up and comes in to work my shift while I go to the hospital.

Basically 5 hours at the hospital to have it looked at, X-rayed (for workman's comp purposes), glued shut, wrapped with an immobilization set up (metal bar with foam on it) to keep me from poping the glued up wound open again.

I don't know if my insurance will even cover this if workman's comp doesn't cause it's so crappy. It would've probably used up my entire deductable for 2008 with this one visit.

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
    Guy starts asking if I'm alright and if I need help.
    Well, at least the guy wasn't an ass.... Unlike the deli dude and the girl with the bad knee.

Comment

Workman's comp BETTER cover it since you were hurt on the job.
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
        Workman's comp BETTER cover it since you were hurt on the job.
        Ditto. This is a classic Worker's Comp case. You shouldn't have any issues, since your managers sound like good people. They likely won't fight you on it.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

and - i hate to sound snarky cos it sounds like the wife is a nice lady but.....

they're also suppose to put those little warning thingies up when it's a wet floor.

and um... personally i dont see why they need to use so much water to make it that slick, but that's my own opinion.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            and - i hate to sound snarky cos it sounds like the wife is a nice lady but.....

they're also suppose to put those little warning thingies up when it's a wet floor.

and um... personally i dont see why they need to use so much water to make it that slick, but that's my own opinion.
            Little cone with "wet floor" was up.

I knew she was mopping the floor

I was being careful walking slowly on it.

It's murphy's law is what it is. You can take every precaution known to man... something bad will happen.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

I don't know about Namrepus' location, but I've never been a McDonald's where the floor was NOT slick, even when dry! I don't know what kind of flooring they use, but I've come close to busting my butt several times, and now I won't go to a McD's unless I absolutely have to, just because of the flooring.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Yeah, that grease NEVER goes away. Bet $20 the grease could outlast nuclear fallout.
                This is like my expression when faced with a SC...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...used-small.gif

Comment

Some fast food places use clothing detergent to clean the floors as it cuts through the grease and it's cheap. Unfortunately, unless it's thoroughly rinsed off, it leaves the floor slick. And if you get anything wet on it, it's like walking on oil-coated plastic.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                    I don't know about Namrepus' location, but I've never been a McDonald's where the floor was NOT slick, even when dry!
                    Quoth penguingeekgod View Post
                    Yeah, that grease NEVER goes away. Bet $20 the grease could outlast nuclear fallout.
                    You think that's bad? Try behind the concession counter at a movie theatre. My first had special non-slip flooring that worked great as long as there were no liquids on it. Water, butter, margerine, pop, anything would make it stupidly slipperly. Of course butter/margerine were the worst though.

Second theatre had tile floors. Wiped out twice in a one hour stretch. Ended up having to day 3 days off work after a couple weeks because it just wasn't getting better.

On topic: Glad you're mostly okay, and that the customer wasn't an ass, and acutally fairly good.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                    X