X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it false advertising?

Okay background:

When you drive past my store (a thrift store) you see a sign that says "FREE CLOTHING"

What the sign actually means is that you get a coupon good for two free color ticket items (which is good on baby clothes, cheaper women's clothes, and purses, hats, socks, ties, belts) if you buy 25.00 worth of stuff.

A customer came in today and asked about the free clothing I explained about buying 25 bucks worth of stuff etc. and she asked isn't that false advertising.

I'm guessing it's not because you do get free clothes you just have to jump through some hoops, but I know you guys will know.

I think it is. The fact that you have to buy $25 worth of stuff first should be disclosed.

I'd change the sign to read "Free clothing with $25 purchase"
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I agree with Irving Patrick Freleigh. The sign needs to more specific or customers will keep thinking that they're getting free clothing in general.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

Okay, what if I told you that as soon as you walked in the breezeway there were signs telling you about the 25 dollar rule?

Just wondering if that makes a difference?

Comment

Every time I've seen signs advertising something like that, they usually have a piece of smaller print saying that terms and conditions apply. I would imagine that the small print has to be on the sign or it risks allegations of false advertising, though I'm no lawyer.

Anything like that on there?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Thrifty View Post
            Okay, what if I told you that as soon as you walked in the breezeway there were signs telling you about the 25 dollar rule?

Just wondering if that makes a difference?
            Doesn't work for me. Who's going to stop and read that? At the very least, you'll end up with a lot of angry customers.

I'd put the 25 dollar rule right on the sign out front. Best to be up-front with customers.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Honestly, something like that should be up front. But you have "disclosures" that are legal but sound like this at the end of a radio or tv ad (and makes me wonder how many takes it took to get this all right this fast): "modelyear2005onlylicensetaxesandfeesextracertainc onditionsapplyseestorefordetails"

It irks me, but one should not really expect to get something for nothing except from a charity. Otherwise there's almost always a catch.
              Testing
              "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

False advertising, unless the other signs are moved so they're all together.

Not that SCs will read the other ones, but just so you're covered.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Good to know guys. I will say a surprising amount of customer's are reading the 25 dollar signs as they are right at face level when they walk through the door. in the past 5 days I think I've had 5 people ask me about what the sign means, and two people walk out once they find out they have to spend 25 dollars.

See if the customer who brought up false advertising will call the main office and complain.

Comment

Working...
                  X