Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work is not always a four letter word.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work is not always a four letter word.....

Sometimes work really can be fun.

Today, for the first three hours the roof deck was open, I was alone, with no server. So I had to set up the bar AND the tables. No biggie, I know how to do both, and I cam in a half hour early to make sure everything was done.

Good thing too, since my first three tables really made me work, but in a good way.

One table wanted vodka and lemonade, and I had not gotten lemonade, so I had to go downstairs for a pitcher of it.

Second table wanted three mojitos (labor intensive drinks) and one Half and Half, a layered beer of Harp and Guinness....both of which I had to go downstairs for.

Third table had two "normal" cocktails, one mojito (labor intensive) and our Stupidly Large Bucket Drink that is the equivalent to ten drinks (or maybe more) with all kinds of insanity in it. It is designed for two to four people. In my year at The Bar, I have seen ONE person drink it my himself, a coworker after his last shift. I am still determined to be the second. And this particular Stupidly Large Bucket Drink was probably the best one I have made yet.

That was the start of my day, and all three of the tables were pleasant and patient.

One of my later tables was a family of four, two adults and two 7-20 year old kids. The father decided to try our rum sampler, which is four tall shots of the customer's choice of our 100+ rums. And the four he chose happened to not only be some of the best, but among the most expensive. With the rum sampler, we total the price of the four shots, then take a 25% discount off for the customer ordering the sampler, which is a pretty good deal. Before the discount, this guy's rums came to $101. More than the food for the whole table. Including dessert. And I did a whole presentation with the guy at the bar, showing him the four bottles, telling him where each rum was from, and later writing down the names of said rums for him, along with a couple of other personal recommendations.

Today was a good, fun, bartendy day. THESE are the times that make even a semi-slow day a great day to be the tarbender.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Mmmmm that reminds me......someone, oh someone, has a 21st birthday coming up....wonder who....

Work can be fun. The reason I love training is the one on one contact with new people. Well, except for DipShit. Just showing them how to run the machines and then interacting with them and watching them progress a little more each day....it's sometimes very fun, dare I say.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yes, mojitos are labor intensive...

but DANG! they are good. (my personal fav!)
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

personally I've never ordered a Mojito(but really want to try one someday)-simply due to the amount of work that goes into it-I feel waaaaay to guilty-usually because I'm in a pretty busy bar.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Do yourself a favor, and do not try to make it yourself until you've had one made for you by someone who knows what they are doing. Also, do not get the mixes. They are not as good as a well made one (although they aren't terrible, either). Try going on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Bars usually aren't too busy then.
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            personally I've never ordered a Mojito(but really want to try one someday)-simply due to the amount of work that goes into it-I feel waaaaay to guilty-usually because I'm in a pretty busy bar.
            If it is a bar that makes them on a regular basis, don't feel guilty. It is what we do.

And if it is a bar that doesn't make them on a regular basis, don't order it.....they may not know how to make a good one!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X