This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store Inventory

So we had our yearly store inventory last night. Things went really smooth, and they were really happy with the way that we had set up the store so they could just come in and start (it was an outside company that comes in to do the inventory). They really complimented us on the fact the we turned all merchandise in the store so the barcodes were facing out .

anyways, the funny thing is...they were told we have 2300 individual pieces of merchandise in the store...by corporate. When all was said and done, we had 3600...so yeah...my question...do we have shoplifters bringing stuff INTO the store and leaving it with us? How could we be off by 1,000 pieces?
    "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Quoth king4aday View Post
    anyways, the funny thing is...they were told we have 2300 individual pieces of merchandise in the store...by corporate. When all was said and done, we had 3600...so yeah...my question...do we have shoplifters bringing stuff INTO the store and leaving it with us? How could we be off by 1,000 pieces?
    I would guess that it has something to do with ordering or receiving. At least that's how it was at most of the places I've worked at...
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It sounds like "teh process" is a WEE bit broken...

Comment

*gasp!

You said the "I" word!

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We did our own inventory, mildly alarming amount of shrinkage with the gaming minis (not too surprising given they're downstairs and effectively hidden from any sightlines), but an increase in the number of books (I didn't even know same titles could breed).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I spent most of the day today turning merchandise back the way it should be (not completely done with this) and taking off all those annoying inventory tags hanging everywhere. For some reason corporate wants us to keep them...but they dont want them. SO, we have to keep them in the store...somewhere...I counted 200 of them..and then got tired of counting them. So yeah...I have this huge pile of inventory tags (they hang on fixtures to help identify where merchandise was when it was scanned), and nowhere to put them.

Now that inventory is done, I really wish they would start sending us some shipments because our store is EMPTY. We havent had a shipment since the 27th of December, and we arent scheduled to have another shipment until after the 20th (the distribution center for the corporation is closed until the 20th). SO...we have to keep our sales numbers up...at normal levels. Which means...we have to do normal sales levels with less merchandise . People walk in...see something they like...dont find the size they want...and leave....
            Last edited by king4aday; 01-09-2008, 03:25 AM. Reason: I fixed a stupid mistake..seriously...whoever heard of The December?
            "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Inventory*shudder* That fabric/craft store that I worked at? Yeah, for the 1st 4 years we did our own inventory. We closed at 5 pm one night & worked until it was done. We counted the stockroom beforehand & whatever we could before we closed (not much).

Then we counted every spool of thread, button, zipper, & bead package; and estimated the yards on incomplete spools of thread, count them on bolts of fabric & reels of lace. The fun part was weighing the home decor fabric.

There was one year that the manager (I've mentioned this one) realized that she had all the ass't managers working inventory & none to open in the morning. At 5 am. I went home, got a couple hours of sleep and then came back in to help finish inventory & open the store.

I was so glad when they hired an outside company. We only had to do the counts on the incomplete BTY items. Then we only needed a manager or two there while the outside company did the work.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

I was chatting to one of our local shop keepers who works for a national chain (brits think NAAFI) and they have a stock count every 8weeks. Yes its essentially a large corner shop, but still.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Both movie theatres I worked at did inventory of saleable items nightly, and non-saleable weekly.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

When I worked for Disney, we did random inventories of certain parts of every gift shop...every day....

So we would get notice that would say something like

Inventory the following items:
                    -----------------------------------------
                    1. Mickey Mouse Erasers
                    2. Mickey Mouse Ears
                    3. Princess Jasmine Pillows

then we would inventory all those items and upload it. The items changed daily, and there were normally about 20 in a list.

In the store where I work now we only do yearly inventories.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      Both movie theatres I worked at did inventory of saleable items nightly, and non-saleable weekly.
                      What would constitute non-salable? The popcorn machines? The hotdog rollers? The bun warmers?

The theaters I worked at as a kid took inventory of all drink/popcorn cups, candies, hotdogs, pickles, etc. every night.

At the jewelry store, *I* took inventory every year just after Christmas, and this was before UPCs and scanning stuff. I had to write down every different item with description and price individually. How many different ways can you describe 18 inch silver link chains that sell for $3.00 so the owner can tell which style you're talking about?
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                        What would constitute non-salable? The popcorn machines? The hotdog rollers? The bun warmers?
                        Fancy term for anything given out that doesn't get charged for, like straws, napkins, italian soda syrup bottles, soap, paper towels, etc.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                        X