This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think so

This involves a coworker, and to a maybe lesser extent, the manager.

Coworker calls in "sick" 3 ½ hours before the start of her shift on Saturday. Why is this suspicious? 1. She calls in from a phone from a different area code. Her House # is ***, her cell is *** (different from her house one), and the one she called from is ***, which is different from the other two. BTW, we have caller ID at work, and she knows it. 2. I find out later that as early as Thursday, she was trying to find someone to cover for her.

That was "I don't think so" #1.

IDTS2 is when the manager found out. She came in about 20-30 minutes after that, and for some reason WE were the ones trying to find someone to cover. Anyways, the manager asks me if I can stay longer, like until 6. I said, grudgingy, "I guess." She says, "You don't seem too happy about it." Well, maybe that's because I have been there since 6AM!!! Then it gets worse. Since she would have been the one to be coming in to relieve me at 6PM, she asked if I would stay until 9, so she wouldn't have to come in at all.

FUCK NO.

There is no way I'm working for 15 hours straight. 12 hours, with NO notice, is my limit, thank you very much. To try to get me to change my mind, she would have given me Sunday off, but that's not good enough. Sorry. I'm already working a 12 hour shift, YOU are the manager, you can come in for a couple hours. I'm ALWAYS the one covering. I had plans that I broke to stay longer.

Why, yes, I am still pissed about it. Why do you ask?
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Sorry that happened to you. I hope you were able to salvage some of your plans. And you should know by now that managers just sit around and just yell at people.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

One of my friends works at Barnes & Noble Cafe, and her manager is awesome about coming into work when someone calls off / NCNS.

There are managers out there who are worthy of the title... just few and far between, as it were.

Vixen: that co-irker needs a mandatory write-up, stat!

Comment

Bella, what did we tell you eons ago about covering for people? If it's not your actual title and responsibility, DON'T DO IT! Hopefully you stood your ground and said just what you said to us. Twelve hours max. Not fifteen.

What irks me is that I used to always have to cover for people who NEVER got written up for continually calling in and most of the time we KNEW they were faking it.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'd like to both of them.

Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My favorite coworker called me this afternoon and asked what I was doing.

I said, "It depends."

"Depends on what?"

"Depends on why you're asking."

Anyways, it turns out her dad is in ICU.

She called our manager to see what could be done, since I didn't really feel like going in. I then decided to go in, since L really is my favorite person to work with. She called back and said that A was on her way in already.

I did aplogize to L, who was actually on my side. She said that she KNOWS I have a life outside work, and I shouldn't have to, or even be expected to, cover for everyone.

And yes, Blas, I stood my ground.

Comment

well... 15 hour days... i can't say i've never done those. but if you're not use to it...yeah it totally sucks.

and...yeah having a lazy supervisor sucks too. I have 3 sups... one is lazy (feels the work is for US not him), one is a waffle (sometimes helps sometimes kisses up), and the last is cool (pitches in to help when we need it & exerts his authority without being an ass).

i just hope you dont have to get use to the omg long days.

Comment

When I was young, childless and without other commitments, that kind of thing wasn't so bad. Now, I've got two kids, school and a commute. I can't work those kind of hours any more. I left my last job because of the firm's attitude. The local office knew we were burning out, but the firm wouldn't let them hire additional people. There are now 4 people full-time and 1 person part-time to do what two employees (one of which was me) used to do, sincle I left.

Yes, the firm I work for now knows I'll do that in a pinch, but I won't do it on a regular basis. They ask, they don't expect or demand.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

In my manager's defense, though, I must say that she is more then willing to work 3rd shift so I won't have to.

Comment

I covered for one person and that was it. Plus I really needed that money. I worked 16 hours. Since I had to work the next day. They told me not to come in and they will still mark it as I was in.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                    X