Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder how long I'll get away with this...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder how long I'll get away with this...

About last June, we got new thermal printers. At first they were an improvement over our old ones (mainly because up to 6 people can use one printer and they don't need to be hooked up to your scanner by a cable), but they've since become steaming hunks of crap.

The biggest problem I have with them is they don't print furniture pull tags well. The paper the pull tags are printed on is different, less glossy, than the paper shelf labels and clearance labels are printed on. Therefore the barcodes, SKUs, UPCs and other data don't burn into the paper as well. The cashiers end up being unable to scan the pull tags, and when they go to type in the UPCs those are broken-up and unreadable, so then they have to call somebody to do a price check and try to figure out what item they need the price check on.

Today I hit upon a solution: Instead of spending half an hour testing all the printers and trying to find the one that prints pull tags decent, I just loaded the printer with regular shelf label and took the pull tags with me. When I needed to make a new tag, I printed out a shelf label for the item and then attached it to the blank pull tag. This is the way we used to do it before we even had portable printers.

Result: The UPC barcodes are easily scanned, and all the relevant information is printed on the label for the cashier to read off to the person doing the carryout.

I can just see some manager or bean counter somewhere figuring out I'm using two different kinds of label stock when I should only be using one and tearing me a new asshole. They can say this knowing they never have to run a register and figure out what kind of furniture item the customer is trying to buy.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    They can say this knowing they never have to run a register and figure out what kind of furniture item the customer is trying to buy.
    Bingo! The owners at the hardware store would always make ridiculous policies and such for cashiers to follow, always keeping in mind they would never have to do any of it themselves. One of them actually did not know how to run the registers at all. His response when asked why not? "I pay people to do that for me; I don't want to know. I have other things to take care of".

I don't see a problem with what you're doing, IPF. The only thing I could think of is maybe the two different types of paper are ordered and tracked separately, so using the paper in the printer that isn't supposed to be used for it could possibly throw off the inventory of the paper?

Otherwise, kudos to you. I'm sure your solution has been / is saving all parties involved time, and therefore making the store a bit more money.

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
      I'm sure your solution has been / is saving all parties involved time, and therefore making the store a bit more money.
      Exactly! Be sure to point this out when you're caught and about to get chewed out.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

You know what they say: It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
        X