This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...And out again.

So, I'm out of work again. My last day was last Saturday with EB Games. On the plus side, it wasn't anything major or any drama. (apart from getting smacked hard on the head by the stock room door)

So why? I was hired as a temp, and last Saturday was the cut off. Simple, no ill will toward anyone and no frustrations. I kinda expected it, but it does suck. The pay wasn't the best, but it was an enjoyable place to work at.

The reason why I brought this up was because of what happened to me with my employer before this one. I seem to be getting the last laugh though. I saw a co worker from there on one of my last days while waiting for my bus. Turns out by the end of the month, about half the staff will be quitting, quit, or transferred to another store at their request. And most of those are the veteran staff. He really did turn the store from a concept store to a cesspool in a few months. I'd be impressed if I didn't hate his guts.

So I'm back on the hunt. I'm also registering for my A+ certification exams so I can boost my job options.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Best of luck on the job hunt, LL. Please, keep us informed.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

New management does have a tendency to completely ruin a store that's doing well. Old roommate of mine worked at a local Wal-Mart for a while. Only one in the town, or within half an hour drive. Place had the highest sales/sq. foot in the (region, province, something like that), and it was a tiny store, by Wal-Mart standards. New manager came in, and the place plummeted to near last in only months. Most of the staff quit or were fired in that time too (over 3/4 from what I was told).

Must be a cycle or something. Good managers come in, turn a store around, make it awesome so that a trained monkey could take over, get moved to a new store, bad manager comes in, does worse than the monkey, and ruins it all over again.

Glad your leavings from EB was amicable though.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Thanks for the support. I'm registered to take the first part of the A+ certification exam on the 31st, so that's a boost.

The good news is that there's a new GameStop opening in the same mall, so I can drop off a new resume and it will give me a good chance to get rehired at the new store. I figured I do that tomorrow so I can pick up my final paycheck at the same time. (I like the manager and all, but he is so forgetful and if it isn't mailed out by corporate, I might never get it.)
        I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Hey, let me know if you need any help with ye olde A+. I had a lot of fun with it, honestly. Not so much with Network+, but still.
          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Thanks GS. Pretty much what's been nagging on me is the printers and networks. Namely, the "needing to know all the theoretical crap about how they work" I also have a little trouble with SCSI drive setups.

Everything else is pretty much me going through the guide:
            know it...
            know it...
            know it...
            know it...
            hey that's new.
            know it...
            know it...
            know it...

etc.
            I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

UPDATE!

Earlier today, I took my first test for the A+ certification.

After completing the 100 questions, I got graded and...

I PASSED!

Barely. Just enough to pass.
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Congrats! Now all you have to do is go out and learn all the stuff you REALLY need to know to do the work.

<j/k> Best of Luck!
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Sah-weet! Good job!

P.S. First time I took the first A+ test, I BARELY failed it. When I took my Network+, I got juuuuust about 100 points over what I needed. That was a toughie, so I can only imagine what Security+ will be like.
                  You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
                  X