This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An observation. Is it just me?

Not sure where to put this. I'll find it if I was wrong and beg that it be moved gently if necessary.

OK, earlier today I was trying to think of stuff that has happened to me throughout my working life (now going on 40 years) and for the life of me, other than the monumental events, I can't remember many. Then I thought of something.

Is it possible that the things we all have happen to us have been at a constant and because we have joined this site we are more conscious of them now? Do we pay more attention to the little things because we are members here? If so, is it because we are more aware of how things should be done or is it really that people are getting worse?

Thoughts?
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

My opinion: When you have something to focus your observation, then you notice it more.

For instance, since we all come here, we tend to notice sucky people more. It's not that they are any more or less sucky than they were before we started. We just see it more now, because we want to have something to say here.

Same thing that happens with a lot of news outlets, too.

On the other side, though, one observation I've heard: The amount of intelligence in the world is a constant. It's the population that's growing.

If that's true, then they are getting dumber.

I tend to lean more towards the former, though.

Comment

because we have joined this site we are more conscious of them now?
      Yes and no.

Because of this site I'm more conscious of how I treat people when I go shopping etc.

But when it comes to my own job... I've always been painfully aware of the stupid stuff some of supervisors and bosses can pull (and that for me they're usually worse than any "customer"). The difference this site has made is that... I can get rid of some of the tension when I bitch about them (besides, myBF gets tired of hearing it since he works the same place, just a different department)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        Yes and no.

Because of this site I'm more conscious of how I treat people when I go shopping etc.

But when it comes to my own job... I've always been painfully aware of the stupid stuff some of supervisors and bosses can pull (and that for me they're usually worse than any "customer").
        Ever since I started working in customer service, I learnt that the best way of getting what you want from someone is to be nice and polite to them - cos I'd seen so many people screaming at me to get what they wanted.

As far as discussing stories, I see this as very similar to the pub on a Friday night. You go, have some beers, bitch and moan about work and get away from it.

Its also made me grateful that I don't a) work in retail b) work in hospitality c) live in the US.

Nothing personal, its just that the real pearler stories all seem to be from America!
        There is no tinfoil helmet. They are reading your thoughts and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Comment

Working...
        X