This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Staff Of Thousands" routine

OK, here's a tale from yesterday; was talking about this with my dad the other day, so figured I'd post it for laughs and also to find out if anyone else has pulled this rather amusing jape. XD

This stems from my years in the garden centre. I worked in Pets, but sometimes I was in the front of the shop for various reasons (taking back the tray with coffee cups; waiting for a delivery; needing to speak to someone working on the front tills etc) and if the phone rang, I'd sometimes answer it.

Now, a bit of background. There were several phones in the garden centre; the main phone was on a pillar at the front of the store, and each major section had one. They were all connected, and were internal phones unless you keyed in a special code. We had to put this into action after customers abused our good nature in letting them use the phones to call for lifts; ie, someone saying they were just going to call a taxi, then calling Auntie Marge and chatting for hours. If you took a call on the main phone, you could then put the call thru to any phone in the store; each phone had its own number, and the putting thru bit was very easy to do.

Now comes the fun bit. If I answered the phone, and the caller asked to be put thru to Pets, I'd trill, "Just putting you thru!" before doing so, then run like the wind to Pets where I'd pick the phone up. Sometimes, the caller wouldn't twig that they'd just spoken to me, which was funny in itself, but other times I'd get a puzzled, "Didn't I just speak to you?" which made the prank worthwhile. No, this wasn't done for meanness, just to brighten up the day a little.

Has anyone else done anything similiar or the same as this?
    Last edited by Lace Neil Singer; 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Did you ever have to elbow people out of the way just so you could get to the phone first? It would have been funny to see you run over a little old lady to reach the phone.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Nope; cuz we never had any customers try to answer the phone.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
        Did you ever have to elbow people out of the way just so you could get to the phone first? It would have been funny to see you run over a little old lady to reach the phone.
        kinda like a 'chariots of fire' slo mo dash for the phone? Now that would be entertaining (if it wasn't for the considerable mount of paperwork it would incur! )
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

XD It wasn't far to run, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make it.

Once too, we got this nasty SC on the phone and ended up putting her thru to every department until she got back to the front. XD
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

That's hilarious.

I should try that sometime.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I never did that deliberately, but it has happened plenty of times this way:

1. Customer emails the general information address to ask a question.

2. Customer doesn't like my answer and emails the support address with the same question.

3. Carl forwards email to me because question isn't a support issue.

4. I answer question again in the exact same words.

5. Customer tries yet another email address.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4, then skip to step 7.

7. Customer figures out that emailing won't get him answer he wants. He tries calling us.

8. I answer phone and give him same answer as I put into email. If I realize I'm speaking to the same guy, I'll repeat the wording of the email verbatim.

9. Calls again hoping to get another person on the phone. If I'm not on another call, I'll pounce on the phone for the next 30 minutes hoping it's the same guy.

Sometimes it's fun working for a small company.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I used to do something similar when I worked tech support at the cable company. Because I started in Sales Support, then moved to customer service, then moved to internet and telephone tech, I could answer any question a customer had. So:

Caller: I have an internet question...
                Me: Okay, I can handle that. [handles problem]
                Caller: Now, could you please transfer me to telephone tech support? I want to make a feature change.
                Me: I'm now the telephone tech support department. [handles problem]
                Caller: Great. Now could you transfer me to billing? I have a question for them.
                Me: I'm now the billing department. Go ahead. [handles problem]
                Caller: Great. Now I'm thinking about an upgrade to my TV services. Could you transfer me to sales?
                Me: I'm now the sales department...

More than one customer wondered I was the only employee in the place.
                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

I haven't done it with the phone, but there was one time that I waited on the same customer in 3 different departments, and then, when he was checking out, I was covering the cash.

I joked with him about it being like that old Tim Conway sketch where the same guy is at every counter, but with a different hat on.

He had been looking at me odd every time I waited on him, and then he finally asked if I also worked in another store that he shopped in. (That's my sister, and while I think we look nothing alike, many people comment that we look a lot alike.)
                  He said, "I was wondering. I thought you must really get around."
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Heh - when I was in the shop, our octogenarian assistant would tell of the time she was working for the previous owner of the place and the bakery along the parade. She worked in the shop in the morning on one day, finished, walked along the back of the shops, then served the same customer in a different uniform in the bakery.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                      Caller: I have an internet question...
                      Me: Okay, I can handle that. [handles problem]
                      Caller: Now, could you please transfer me to telephone tech support? I want to make a feature change.
                      Me: I'm now the telephone tech support department. [handles problem]
                      Caller: Great. Now could you transfer me to billing? I have a question for them.
                      Me: I'm now the billing department. Go ahead. [handles problem]
                      Caller: Great. Now I'm thinking about an upgrade to my TV services. Could you transfer me to sales?
                      Me: I'm now the sales department...
                      If you've never seen The Mikado, you need to. A good producion of it, mind you.

Comment

Working...
                      X