X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i be agressive?

hey guys
    both me and my sister did some factory work in november - which we are yet to be paid. the story is that my ex neighbor works there and he kept giving us the run around in terms of pay.. gotta fill this form out, gotta fill that form out.
    i have cut the neighbor out of the loop and am dealing with the company, and i called them today to chase it up. the person i need to speak to is not there, but will call me back tomorrow. how aggressive should i be?
    bear in mind i am on unemployment, so i am already down $200 as i reported my earnings and got money taken from my cheque.
    should i threaten them with govt action now or wait? i'm a bit close to the situation so i want others opinions.
    The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

How long has the new person been dealing with this particular issue? The one who's not your gives-you-the-runaround neighbour?

If it's been less than one standard pay period (week, two weeks, month), then be firm but polite. A good line to say is something like 'I'm frustrated because this has been going on since November, and we really need the money'.

Let your frustration show, but do not take it out on the new person if he/she seems to be trying to get it dealt with. Give him a fair chance to sort it out, and realise that he may be limited to getting you paid on a 'standard' pay date for the company.

It's possible that he may be able to go up a level and get a special allowance made, since it's been going on for so long, but if he's going to do that, you're better off being 'this really nice person who doesn't deserve to be screwed around' than 'this awful bastard I just want out of my life'.

On the other hand, if the new person hasn't shown any signs of wanting to resolve this in any sort of reasonable time frame, then yeah, consider getting the courts involved.

But don't make any threats you aren't willing to carry out. If you say 'fix it or I'll go to court', you'd better be ready to go to court. Get your paperwork and proof-of-contract ready before you call, and know which court is appropriate for the job, and what sort of representation you intend to use. Preferably have your representative, if any, lined up.

Your knowledge you have everything ready for court will show in your voice and your choice of words: and also, people have this nasty habit of calling bluffs.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

thanks for the advice. i have never been in this situation before
      The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

They will probably run you around until you become angry and agressive. Probably best and easier to just cut to the chase. This is not professional of them. Be professional. Be firm, and don't take any excuses. "havent paid you because they need to fill out some forms?" Right. They need to start filling out some forms right now, then.

Comment

Does one of your local news stations have a"troubleshooter" type of person who does cases like this? In many cases, throwing a spotlight on them will push the issue a bit.

Another tactic, learn the local picketing laws and picket them on a public sidewalk. Tell only the facts, and nothing but the facts, to anyone who asks, as they may be a plant by the factory to trip you up. In fact, treat any question as if they are trying to catch you lying or slandering the company. This really only works if they are near a decently busy public street, and have some direct contact with the public.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

You don't need to get the courts or news involved. You simply have to report them to your local government employment agency. They have to pay you within the legally required period of time. Give the company once last call. If they are being evasive, go to the state. If they sound sincere, give them one more week, then go to the state if they don't come through.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

thanks for the advice all. i really don't know how much of the running around was done by my neighbor and how much by the company. i'm taking it all on board

Comment

I would also let the unemployment office know what's going on. They may be willing (yeah, right) to let you rescind the reporting of the $200 so that you can get it now, but will re-report it if/when it actually gets paid to you.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                  I would also let the unemployment office know what's going on. They may be willing (yeah, right) to let you rescind the reporting of the $200 so that you can get it now, but will re-report it if/when it actually gets paid to you.

unfortunately it doesn't work that way here in australia.
                  i rang them this morning, and as soon as i told them who i was the payroll person suddenly wasn't in. i'm posting them a polite, yet firm letter informing them that i am not paid in the next round of pays i will be taking legal action.

Comment

Working...
                  X