This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Silly Drivers

So yesterday I attend the scene of an RTC (Road Traffic Collision) where I had to close the road. My crew mate buggers off (thats a whole different story) and leaves me there to deal with various matters, so I position my car (looks kinda like this but a different Constabulary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wglpJwQ1j3U ) diagonally across the road and have the blue lights flashing, end up looking like a christmas tree, I then put out cones in various places to block off feeder lanes to this road, and two signs.
    The first says POLICE ACCIDENT (where the cones were to show the cones weren't just for decoration)
    The other says POLICE ROAD CLOSED. (this is close to my car, just to emphasise the point)

These signs are not small, they are aound three and half foot wide and two and half foot tall, they are bright blue and reflective.

As I said, this is in addition to the Brightly Marked police car sat blocking the road.

At this point idiot driver decides none of this applies to him and drives up to my car and gets to within say three feet then sits there and waits. EVERY OTHER car is going in the other direction and he tries to drive up a road which is quite obviously closed!

Dumbass

*The RTC wasn't as serious as first thought and the chap who was run over will aparrently be OK
    Last edited by crazylegs; 01-27-2008, 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarification
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Sounds familar. My dad is an accident investigator.

He does stuff like this -all the time-.

He was running a DUI checkpoint one night on a three lane road. They closed off the two side lanes, leaving just the center one open. This was done using two of the big pallet trucks you see at construction sites that have the giant 4 foot tall flashing arrows on them. These arrows are pointing to the center lane.

In front of each of these trucks are 4 police cars with blue flashing lights, and strobing head lights. There is a LINE of cars in the center lane.

All of a sudden they hear screeching tires and breaks and then a very loud BANG...

Some idiot drove right into the back of one of the pallet trucks...
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
      Sounds familar. My dad is an accident investigator.

He does stuff like this -all the time-.

He was running a DUI checkpoint one night on a three lane road....

All of a sudden they hear screeching tires and breaks and then a very loud BANG...

Some idiot drove right into the back of one of the pallet trucks...
      gee, was the idiot drunk (or otherwise impaired)?
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
        gee, was the idiot drunk (or otherwise impaired)?
        No, just stupid lol

They've had people do some really dumb things at DUI checkpoints... like the one guy who pulled up with a gun laying in the front passenger seat...

The drunk who thought if he drove fast enough they couldn't stop him. Little did he realize the road up ahead was blocked off by a fire truck.

Comment

I'm suprised that it still sometimes amazes me how dumb drivers can be and the weird stationary stuff that they will drive into. Especially considering all the bright poles people drive into out here...
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
            I'm suprised that it still sometimes amazes me how dumb drivers can be and the weird stationary stuff that they will drive into. Especially considering all the bright poles people drive into out here...

Scene:

4-way intersection outside of a major mall.

Setup:

There has been a small accident at said intersection, my dad parks his cruiser in the center of the intersection next to another cruiser. Both cars have giant flashing blue lights, and strobing headlights.

My dad gets out, walks 15 feet, turns briefly, and then watches as someone slams into the side of his patrol car at 40mph.

When asked why he didn't stop at the intersection that had two giant flashing objects in it, the driver's response was: "I didn't see them."

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              Scene:

4-way intersection outside of a major mall.

Setup:

There has been a small accident at said intersection, my dad parks his cruiser in the center of the intersection next to another cruiser. Both cars have giant flashing blue lights, and strobing headlights.

My dad gets out, walks 15 feet, turns briefly, and then watches as someone slams into the side of his patrol car at 40mph.

When asked why he didn't stop at the intersection that had two giant flashing objects in it, the driver's response was: "I didn't see them."
              Wow...that's special. The guy who ran into the pole most recently said that we should get someone to do something about the pole because it was a hazard...it was one of those "this is a handicap space" poles that are everywhere!
              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Damn...and I thought PA had all the idiots

Some of the things I've seen..

...include a guy who couldn't make up his mind whether to turn left or right. The road he was on had a traffic light. You *had* to go one way or the other. Still undecided, he went straight...straight into a brick wall! Needless to say, the rest of us, who had to wait for a truck to tow his dumb ass away, weren't amused

...and speaking of DUI checkpoints...
                My grandmother's cleaning lady's kid got busted at one. As he was approaching the checkpoint, he ran down and seriously injured one of the officers. As he was getting hauled out of his car, he claimed his brakes failed. In reality, he was so wasted he was speeding and couldn't stop in time. Needless to say, he's in jail for a long time.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                X