This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got a new toy

A year ago, corporate sent in some huge-ass, kick-ass DLP HDTVs, because they figured they'd sell quickly for the Super Bowl. It turned we sold only one before the TVs went on clearance--and then it got returned for some kinda picky reason, like it hummed too loud or something (But then again I guess I can understand being picky when you've plunked down 2 grand for a TV)

Problem was, we could not return the TV to the DC as return center or salvage. The computer wouldn't allow us to do that. Instead we had to hold the damn thing in the backroom and wait for a technician to come in and fix it so we could re-sell it. Almost a year passed without a visit from the tech, so the TV got forgotten in the backroom.

Until this weekend. Store manager decided to put it in the breakroom, replacing our ancient 19-inch TV with bent antennas covered in tin foil.

So there it is, in the breakroom, attached to rabbit ears because we don't have cable in the breakroom, a monument to corporate's complete inability to divine what people are willing to blow their money on. It can pull in only 2 or 3 channels (including 2 HD channels), but it shows some of the prettiest static you've ever seen. It's the mirrors.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    So there it is, in the breakroom, attached to rabbit ears because we don't have cable in the breakroom, a monument to corporate's complete inability to divine what people are willing to blow their money on. It can pull in only 2 or 3 channels (including 2 HD channels), but it shows some of the prettiest static you've ever seen. It's the mirrors.
    Well said.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

It's about time corporate's cluelessness starting working in the employees' favor instead of to their detriment...
      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        It turned we sold only one before the TVs went on clearance--and then it got returned for some kinda picky reason, like it hummed too loud or something (But then again I guess I can understand being picky when you've plunked down 2 grand for a TV)
        Actually, that is the precise reason we did not buy a DLP TV. Beautiful picture, but there is a mechanical color wheel inside which never stops spinning. Over time, the bearings will start making louder and louder noise. You have to hope that the manufacturer will carry the part in a few years so that you can fix it, or you buy a whole new tv because they've discontinued everything.

Comment

That kind of stuff is the reason I would never spend a grand or more on some fancy shmancy TV. My parents bought a giant TV from RCA like 2 years ago and something inside broke or something, because the image on the screen started to "buckle" in the middle. And of course, after bringing the gigantic TV to a repair place, my parents were told RCA no longer makes the part that the TV needed to be repaired, so now the stupid block of plastic sits in the secondary living room on the other side of the house being used by my brother, and my parents now have a brand new wide screen TV that hopefully won't get "discontinued" or some crap, like the last one. :|

Comment

Not to be negative, but it's been my experience that many places will take away something out of the break room that brings joy to its employees.

Despite this, may you and your co-workers enjoy your new toy for many years to come!
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Sad news to report--the DLP TV is gone from the breakroom.

Apparently the requisition request the store manager put in for the TV got shot down by some bean counter up at corporate. They're now insisting we try to sell the TV. We do not even have the box or instruction manual for it anymore, and the price would probably be something like $200, or 90% off the original price.

Next step may be to see if we can dip into the employee pool of dollars and buy the TV outright for the breakroom. But if that fails we're back to the ancient 19-inch TV with a busted, tin-foil covered antenna which hardly works and will need to be replaced soon anyhow.

Comment

Get your manager to price it at $10. Or drop it from about three inches off the floor so the glass gets a tiny crack I kid, I kid. But $200 should be easy to raise, depending on the number of employees. My bakery of 40 workers raised $1,000 for charity last Xmas.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
                  . But $200 should be easy to raise, depending on the number of employees. My bakery of 40 workers raised $1,000 for charity last Xmas.
                  We wouldn't even need to raise any money. The pool of dollars is just money given to us by corporate to use for food days, parties, or other morale-boosting activities.

It isn't much, but it pays for us to have a catered meal on Black Friday, special little things like cookouts or doughnuts, and so forth.

Comment

I know a large screen tv would boost my morale!

Comment

I feel like I jinxed you, IPF.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

The DLP TV is gone now. We sold it yesterday.

Peppergirl, don't worry about jinxing us. I had a feeling we were not going to be able to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                        X