X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That had to be embarrassing

I hope this never happens to me.

This girl was supposed to be fired Monday. As in, my boss called the temp agency and told the lady "We don't want her anymore" because of her attendance (I briefly worked with this girl in another department, as did my mentor, and this girl called in sick at least 2 days a week since she was hired in October).

Well, either the temp lady didn't call her, or she didn't answer her phone....because she showed up last night! Imagine my poor boss having to call her to the lobby, and explain to her that she'd been fired that day, and have to have a security guard walk her out. (It's just procedure when someone gets fired. If it's bad enough and it's a real employee, a rep from HR will come in early to walk them out as well).

Seeing how the temp lady dragged her feet and never called DipShit when she was supposed to, I can see where it'd be a possiblity that she forgot to call. But then again, when a supervisor wants a temp fired, it IS that lady's job to call the temp and inform them that they are fired. It's the temp's job to answer their phone or return the call. I can also see if the girl just didn't answer her phone.

GAH! How embarrassing! Oh well...another one with a bad work ethic out the door. When will people learn?
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

I once was fired from a temp job. Apparently I was to start working at the beginning of the day shift. The Temp agency told me to start at 2pm. So when I didn't show up for day shift, I was fired. Screw them. Found out, from the temp agency that the supervisor was an asshole anyway. And that he ripped into her, also.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Not a temp job but when I was hired my boss told me to start on a Monday but wait a few hours before coming in to let my future cow-irkers to get the morning stuff handled. What I didn't know was he neglected to tell my cow-irkers and boy did I get the stink-eye from everyone when I did come in two hours late.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Before I got my current job (gophering at a financial advisor's office), I was a legal gopher, temping at a schmanzy firm in NYC. The pay was good, but the hours were..interesting. Basically it was 9AM to whenever someone said you could go. I was forgotten about several times.

So I get home on a Monday night around 11 PM. I get a call from the temp agency at around midnight saying that "my temporary assignment had been completed." I had been asleep for half an hour, but by happy chance I had left my phone on. I can definitely sympathize with that poor girl.

By the way, hello, everyone!

Comment

Hello and welcome!

Comment

I was once 'let go' from a temp job (I hated the agency anyway) because I called in sick. I was in a job that dealt with customers over the phone and talking to colleagues for advise on stuff. I called in sick because I was deaf because of so much wax in my ears and I couldn't get a appointment until the end of the week (it was a Monday). Funnily enough I was on the last week of my contract if the company needed me beyond that point they had to employ me by the agencies rules...
            As soon as I start thinking
            That I'm sensible and sane
            The Random Hedgehog comes along
            And fiddles with my Brain
            (from card I got)

Comment

The temp agency that my factory uses for temps, well.....it depends on the circumstances of the termination....they will find them another job if they leave us in a professional manner.

I am not certain if temps who get terminated get a different job elsewhere from the agency. Maybe if they just get fired because of incompetence or stuff like that. But definetly, the ones who walk out, don't show up, get fired for behavior, etc etc, those ones are never allowed to work for the agency again.

Comment

it shouldn't be legal to fire someone for being sick.
                that's just a coward's way of trying to get rid of someone when there's nothing really wrong with them in the first place.

@$$h0l3$

Comment

I was once fired from a temp job for being late four out of four days. (Long story - it was a combination of a job I hated and a woman who very hard to say goodbye to.)

The agency said they'd find me other assignments, but I'd have to prove myself by working a variety of one day assignments before they'd send me out on a long-term assignment again.

Two days later they called and asked me if I wanted to interview with another company for a direct hire position (the temp agency was doing the initial screenings). I went to the interview that evening and I was hired on the spot.

So, in 48 hours, I went from fired temp in a crappy job to a full-time employee of a company I really liked.
                  I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

I know a lot of you guys have worked for temp agencies, and I am not trying to bash you and I am not trying to imply that all temps are people who call in sick all the time and have no work ethic...

However, my stories are a little different. Most of the temps we get quit after one day or one week, and a lot of them DO call in sick several days a week until the boss gets tired of it. As temps, they are only allowed so many call ins before they are fired.

That's the way it has to be. If my boss let every temp call in once or twice a week for several months straight, he'd have to let them all do it. And then none would show up consistently.....people would have to take their places....it's just not good.

Comment

My experience with others temps has also been that the majority of them are just not good workers. Back in '04 I signed up with this company that was taking on a whole ton of temps at one time, hoping to turn as many as possible into permanent employees if they could prove themselves to be reliable, consistent workers. Most of them certainly were not. I was the first person out of about a group of thirty to be offered a position with the company That was when I was younger and hadn't started despising corporations yet.

[QUOTE][I called in sick because I was deaf because of so much wax in my ears and I couldn't get a appointment until the end of the week (it was a Monday)./QUOTE]

OT, but I have that same problem where every few months I get a build-up of wax in my ears that causes them to clog. You don't need to rely on going to a doctor, just get a bottle of earwax removal drops. (Or in my case because I'm cheap, I use hydrogen peroxide). Works like a charm.

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
                        You don't need to rely on going to a doctor, just get a bottle of earwax removal drops. (Or in my case because I'm cheap, I use hydrogen peroxide). Works like a charm.
                        Olive oil works too.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                        X