This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Writer's Strike..

....is beginning to turn my office into a haven for out of work TV actors ( Vancouver = Hollywood North ). One's you'd actually recognize. Its really weird. >.>

No offense...but the way I figure it, sure you might have the writers striking, but as an up-and-coming actor...why not grab it, run with it and make your own lines? I often come up with better lines then the directors/producers have on the spot!

Comment

Because if you even wrote anything for film/tv/animation(which i also know vancouver is well known for(Ocean Studios)) You're automatically a member of the writers guild. And most productions have shut down across the boards as a show of solidarity. But i wouldn't worry too much, seeing as a quite real possibility that the strike will end very soon.

Comment

And to followup on that. If you were to write as a scab you would be immediatly blackballed by the Guild as well and screw up any chance that you might of had in the future.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

which is why i'm glad of two things....

1) i don't watch tv in the first place... so i don't really care if they don't want to write. i figure, if they don't want a paycheck, then fine... no paycheck for yoo!

2) not all shows have the issue... i know BSG for example doesn't have any writers on strike & was listed as a good alternative in EW magazine (my bf gets those cos he likes movies)

Comment

There is a show on TBS called '10 items or less' that hasn't been affected by the writers strike because it's completely improvised.

Damn funny, too...but it's an obscure kind of funny that not everyone would appreciate.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Ah...that'd explain it, I'm actually an aussie :P So don't really know how everything works over there. Good luck getting it solved though!

Comment

One of my favorite TV shows is (or was) filmed in Vancouver. I love Da Vinci's Inquest.

Take heart, GK. I hear that they are close to settling the strike. I sure hope so. I'm tired of reruns and reality shows. (except for Survivor)
                This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                  One of my favorite TV shows is (or was) filmed in Vancouver. I love Da Vinci's Inquest.

Take heart, GK. I hear that they are close to settling the strike. I sure hope so. I'm tired of reruns and reality shows. (except for Survivor)
                  I watch very little tv so its not bothering me much. I just thought it was funny that they're ending up in my office, the pit of despair. >.>

Comment

A friend of mine is one the striking writers. I'm hoping that the studios get off their collective greedy asses and actually pay the writers for work they use.

Some of the crap the studios are pulling is like:

Studio: Hey, go pile up some oranges on that end-cap nice and neat. It'll be great!
                    Writer: OK. (piles oranges)
                    Studio: Thanks for doing that. By the way, we're not going to pay you because it's a promo piece.
                    Writer: WTF?
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

What I wanna know is, are these actors WORKING there? Like, they're getting jobs working the phones? Or are they just hanging out? Because really, either way is mondo bizarro. Having them working there though would be more surreal. Also a funny base for a new TV show!
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I think they're doing character studies for the upcoming "Gravekeeper: The Series", next fall on HBO.
                        "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

The writers' strike in America is turning out to be the best thing that ever happened to the Australian TV industry! Since the local networks can't buy American rubbish, they're discovering that locally produced rubbish actually rates well.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            What I wanna know is, are these actors WORKING there? Like, they're getting jobs working the phones? Or are they just hanging out? Because really, either way is mondo bizarro. Having them working there though would be more surreal. Also a funny base for a new TV show!
                            No, they're actually on the phones, working. Which is kinda funny. >.>

Comment

I supose you arn't at liberty to name names, are you?

Could you give us some hints, like rhymes with "Lom Smelling"?

Comment

Working...
                              X