Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get you to do something by scaring you....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get you to do something by scaring you....

I have made posts here before on how my call center co-workers make fun of me calling me "policy boy" for offering things to clients or doing things that they never do or offer, yet they pass their audits all the time.

Well, starting a month ago I decided to experiment. I decided to not offer certain things or do things on client's PCs just to see what would happen. If I failed an audit and the reason was because I didn't offer X service, then I'll go back to being "policy boy." This is what I found..

First off, I want to say all these things are actions the quality dept supposedly "monitors for compliance." More on that later....

1). Leaving troubleshooting notes on client's PCs: I was against this when I first heard about this, mainly because we were supposed to put this on the client's PCs as a notepad file. The client could easily edit the document and make an accusation at us that we broke the computer. Or complain we put something in that was derogatory.

2. The "On Duty 24/7" program we're supposed to offer clients to install on their machines after we resolve a call. It's supposed to let them pull up a store locater, company phone # or chat with a rep. However, the chat function also contains the components for our remote access software, so it would allow a rep to take control of the client's machine. By it's purest definition, that makes it spyware. My co-workers refuse to offer it for that one reason.

3. Approved software list. Yes, the one that supposedly can cost you your job if you use any tools outside the list. It's because the head honchos are afraid if we use software that we didn't get permission to use from the vendor, we could get sued. However, only 4 tools on the list are actually effective, the others are crap that do a lot of flashy things to dazzle the client and make it seem like they're doing something. And even worse, we're restricted to what websites we can go to to get the tools, because supposedly we need to get permission from the webmasters to go to the site.

4. For the remote access, you're supposed to give the client a specific web address with the company's URL followed by a "/pin," rather than the generic address we used to give out. Only problem is, clients would screw up either the main address, the "/pin" part, or enter it in a search box rather than the address bar. Sometimes, it would take 10-20 minutes before some people "got" it.

Here's what I found:

For #1: I always felt that if people wanted a written record of what we did, they can always request a receipt emailed to them, one that they can't edit. Because of this, I stopped putting notes on client's PCs.

For #2: I followed my co-workers' lead and stopped offering this piece of crap.

For #3. This is still the only one I still follow, I decided to use a tool not on the list for 2 clients last week and then my nerves got the better of me and I went back to using the tools on the list. The websites deal is stupid though, because we're using the client's IP address and the client's browser, so it's not like they're going to find out.

For #4: I went back to using the generic URL for the reasons listed above. Also, another big reason is because the generic URL has a listing in most major search engines, so if a client enters the URL in the search box he/she can just click on the first result and it'll take them there, where as the other URL does not, meaning if the client cannot find the address bar you're in trouble.

Now for the kicker: the quality dept doesn't even bother looking at this stuff anymore! So apparently, when they say "quality will be monitoring for compliance"
    it's just a ploy to make sure techs will actually be offering it or doing it.

And as you might expect, I have not failed a single audit yet and thus keep getting my bonus.
    Last edited by sld72382; 02-10-2008, 08:12 PM.

For #2 I'm assuming you're not supposed to tell your clients it's got the remote access components?
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
      For #2 I'm assuming you're not supposed to tell your clients it's got the remote access components?
      Exactly, which is why me and my co-workers don't offer it anymore.

Comment

yeah i would think... you'd be opening yourself to a lawsuit if those "extra features" were activated.

some of us compy users are really anal about letting *anyone* try to take control of the computer.

Comment

Working...
        X