This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impending Doom

Today I saw something at work that caused me to actually do a double-take.

I was walking from the kennels to the office to have my lunch. On the way, I have to walk through the parking lot where most of the snowmobilers park and play with their machines before going out on the trail. I saw two gentleman filling up a snowmobile from a jerry can of fuel. What cause me to do the double take?

They were smoking.

Fuel. Lit cigarette.

The hilarious thing is, that right now I am reading the Darwin Awards book. Anyone want to bet that these two grace the illustrious pages of that website soon?

Oh, that's nothing.

Back in Convenience Store Hell™, back when I was a pump jockey, I'd try to tell people to put out their cigarettes around the pumps.

Their responses were usually along the lines of "fuck you."

Manager always backed the customer. *sigh*
    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
      Oh, that's nothing.

Back in Convenience Store Hell™, back when I was a pump jockey, I'd try to tell people to put out their cigarettes around the pumps.

Their responses were usually along the lines of "fuck you."

Manager always backed the customer. *sigh*
      Sounds like its time to play with the "Automatic Pump Shutoff Switch"

Seriously, is wrong with people? I dont give a crap WHAT the manager says, its not worth dying over. In this case literaly.
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
        Seriously, is wrong with people? I dont give a crap WHAT the manager says, its not worth dying over. In this case literaly.
        Not to mention it is actually ILLEGAL to smoke around gas pumps. It's a violation of fire codes.
        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

No matter how badly I'm feening for some smokey treat goodness, I wouldn't think of smoking near flammables.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
            Sounds like its time to play with the "Automatic Pump Shutoff Switch"

That would, at the very least, have gotten my ass kicked. People around here aren't too bright, particularly the people who work and/or shop at that store, save for a precious few. I mean, all of the other cashiers and the manager were smokers and/or didn't know/care what the problem was.

I'm glad I'm not working there anymore...I don't want to be anywhere near there when the place goes sky-high. All that gasoline, propane, alcohol (it's a liquor store too)...that would make for a good show.
            "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

When I had my first "car" (actually a pickup truck) - the fuel pump went out. That truck had a mechanical fuel pump mounted to the engine block - no electric fuel pump on that thing. Actually, the only electronics on the entire truck were related to the radio - carburated, points style ignition, and everything. Go early 70s!

The guy replacing it.. was smoking a cigarette while replacing it. With his hands completely covered in gas. I remember freaking out and running to the other side of the building, and him laughing. He was holding the cigarette in the same hand as the fuel pump while trying to mount it to the block.

I still say I had good reason to freak out.

Comment

Working...
              X