This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Related by a friend

This story was told to me by a friend. I did not see it happen, although given the nature of Murphys law, I had no doubt it did.
    Took place in a Rickels store in Nesconset Hiway on Long Island. (Rickels ceased to exist years ago.)
    This store was similar in concept to the old Service Merchandise chain. Which, (dating me) was born, lived, and died in my lifetime. Fickle, thy name is customer.
    Anyway this particular Rickels had a delivery belt that ran thru the upstairs warehouse, down to the service desk where customers picked up their merchandes, and back upstairs again. (Please bear with me, my memory is fuzzy and as this occured @ 30 years ago... )
    The belt emerged from an opening on one side of the alcove, ran about 20 feet against the wall in an open space, and then disappeared back into the wall on the other side (I think it was a double wall affair: the belt merely ran between the two.)
    Anyway, one of the workers decided to take a ride on this belt all the way through. He was on it when it went thru the exposed open area (like regular merchandise.) Unfortunately for him some higher muckety mucks were touring the store and the manager had stopped and was talking about that particular section when he made his pass. The manager had his back to the belt so he couldn't ' see this guy on the belt but the muckety mucks sure did.
    I don't remember what happened to this guy in consequence (if any, sometimes higher up muckety mucks are understanding, remembering their own far-flung youthful indiscretions). He decided it would be best NOT to get off the belt and simply disappeared on the other side.
    Sorry if this is long winded and still may be hard to visualize. Like I said, this memory is old.

two cents ¢¢

that sounds as funny as hell.

and O/T... Service Merchandise is dead? (i've been behind on things!)

Comment

Oh, that must've been HILARIOUS to see!!
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have ALWAYS wanted to do that
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
          I have ALWAYS wanted to do that
          I have always wanted to do that also