This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grandfather's death=inconvenience

My grandfather passed away Wednesday night. I came into work today and told my manager that I would need Monday through Saturday off to attend the funeral and do family stuff.

Her reaction? She sighs and rolls her eyes and says, "great and I have an ad on Wednesday!"

(The ad is the sale that we put up; this particular one is actually less that 900 signs; very small.)

She said this in front of me and my two co-workers and then walked out muttering. My co-workers are all "WTF is her problem?" And they leave to go work.

So, anyhow, I break down and start bawling because I've just been all weepy and emotional, because, well my grandfather just died, and that's the last thing I needed to hear. My boss comes back into the room and notices me crying and says, "What, you okay?"

And I tell her, "yeah," and then she leaves me alone.

I have never been closer to quitting than I was at that moment.

Later on, I hear her bitching about the fact that I asked for last Monday off because I thought grandpa was going to die earlier than he did and I wanted to get my schoolwork taken care of for the next two weeks (I do on line classes). She was mad that I asked for that day off and said "why did she need that when her grandpa didn't die until Wednesday?! blah blah, etc." That day off really helped me out so now I don't have to worry about school while I'm away. So, hearing her bitch to my co-worker (one of the two that was in the room previously) set me crying again and I go back onto the sales floor crying.

The co-worker that was with my manager comes back onto the floor and sees me crying and rushes over to comfort me. She told me that she put my manager in her place and told her off for being rude and insensitive. (apparently I only overheard part of the conversation that they were having earlier)

Manager comes onto the floor later and says to all three of us, "I'm sorry if I've been short with you all today. I'm under a lot of stress."

Yeah, whatever. I would have appreciated if she just came out and said she was sorry for being a rude jerk instead of giving me the run around. It's true about the stress--we've ALL be under a lot of stress because we had a corporate visit today but that doesn't give her the right to treat me like that.

A small part of my is happy that I get to be away from work for six days.

edit to add: I was doing my manager a favor and didn't ask for Sunday off because we have a major ad to set. I need that day to get ready to leave, but I decided to be nice and work that day...now I'm sort of regretting it...
    Last edited by Rine; 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM. Reason: more info

"Sorry my grandfather picked an inconvenient time to die for you."

What an ass.

Manager comes onto the floor later and says to all three of us, "I'm sorry if I've been short with you all today. I'm under a lot of stress."
    I took that as a non-apology. Manager should be apologizing to you for grumbling about her problems when you told her your grandfather died. Making a general apology about stress was nothing more than sidestepping how she treated you.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I agree with IPF. It was a non-apology.

She wasn't "short" with you. She was "a raging insensitive bitch" to you. Sort of requires more in the way of apology, I think.

I'm sorry about your grandpa, honey.
      Last edited by Boozy; 02-16-2008, 01:38 PM.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

She should've personally apologized for her insensitive behavior. I agree with IPF that her "apology" was a non-apology. She could've been less of an ass and more empathetic to your situation.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

The job I had at the time my grandfather died understood that I needed time off. He meant the world to me and he wasn't expected to die.

I would have gone off on someone if they told me what an inconvenience it was to them
          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            I agree with IPF. It was a non-apology.

She wasn't "short" with you. She was "a raging insensitive bitch" to you. Sort of requires more in the way of apology, I think.

I'm sorry about your grandma, honey.
            You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been through the deaths of both sets of grandparents, and one parent, and it is never easy.

Rine, I'm sorry about your grandfather. I hope you can take the time you need with your family and pull yourself together.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I feel your pain. When my grandpa died in '05 I took a ration of shit when I asked for the time off. I asked for 3 days plus the weekend, as he lived almost 500 miles away from me and the funeral was in his neck of the woods. I told my boss aaaannnnnndddddd.................................

"Fuck, whatever. Get it handled."

Handled? HANDLED? Go piss up a flagpole you insensitive douche!
              I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I agree that it was a non-apology and it took every ounce of willpower not to roll my eyes and be nasty to her when she said that to me. Then, she acted concerned for my situation but I didn't feel like she cared. She was just trying to make up.

It's very frustrating. I regret ever moving to her team because now her true nature is revealing itself. She is lazy, rude, insensitive...I also hate the way she spends so much time gossiping and making fun of people. Now, I am guilty of gossiping every once and a while and I honestly try not to do it much, but my boss takes it to a whole 'nother level. And it's really very unprofessional for her to be doing something like that since she IS a manager.

Well, I'm glad I could just tell someone about this because I've been holding all of it inside and I'm so angry but at the same time I keep telling myself...I shouldn't get so worked up over this stupid job. It's hard though, with everything that is going on. It's really hard.

Comment

Don't be afraid to let it all out. We're good listeners on here.

And I agree, it's very disgusting when managers/supervisors are gossipy and just as bad as some of the associates. When you're a manager, you're *supposed* to be better than that. You're supposed to be an example.

There are some room runners on various shifts (they are right under the boss) tha act just like some of the gossipy operators, and contribute more and more to the ever-so-awful high school enviornment where I work.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. The place I was working understood, why I needed it off, when my had died.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather, Rine. *hugs*

Should we warm up the bus and stick your boss in the ?
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Ugh. What a bastard. Sounds like what my boss would have done. When I tried to take off 2 days after my grandfather died of cancer in 2001, he actually *whined* that "we're already shorthanded..." about it. Are you fucking kidding me? Trust me, it took *all* of my strength not to jump the counter and throttle him!
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

"I'll try to rush the funeral along so that YOU aren't inconvienenced."

Comment

First off: Sorry about your grandpa. .
                            Second: I'm very good at scaring people by doing very strange things. I can run up to her wearing a bucket on my head while eating grapes. It be surreal.

Third: ... it wasn't apolgy. She was a flatout ***ch.

Forth: ....somewhat off shift. My boss was cool when my mom was in hospital. Even though she just worked a double shift, she told me if ANYTHING comes up with my mom during those 8 hours I was working, I'm to call her, and she'll get there ASAP so I can get to my mom. Thankfully my mom made it ok, though my boss came to work very tired. I found out that she barely sleep because she didn't want to miss my call if I did call. I love my boss.
                            Military Spouse Support.
                            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I am very sorry for your loss, Rine.

And I'm glad you have coworkers around you who care and support you - which is very important and does help a lot - even if your boss is a total bee-otch.

Comment

Working...
                              X