This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Pleasures you get from your Job

Every once in a great while something happens at work that just makes you smile inwardly. It isn't usually something that makes the job a whole lot better than it normally is, it doesn't make you forget about the SCs, but it is a nice little two-minute distraction.

I'm a security guard at a golf resort. This golf resort is hosting a major tournament this week. Tiger Woods is here. But this has nothing to do with him.

For the tournament a bunch of trailers and tents and such had been set up in one of the lower parking lots. You had to go past me to get into this parking lot. Due to the theft of six laptops by people disguised as press workers(long story that I won't go into right now) I was told to stop everyone that tried to get on site and not let them through unless I had taken down their drivers license info and license plate number.

So throughout the night workers would show up every so often and there would be no problem. They knew about the laptops and understood the added precaution. Then this morning, at about 4:45 AM a silver SUV blows right past me without even slowing down. I make a note of it in my log and head off to investigate.

I walked down the sidewalk that led to the lot and could see the SUV. I walk up to it and find the driver gone. I notice a flashlight beam shining from inside the wall of a tent, so I walk up to it. Someone is inside moving stuff around.

I simply stand outside, waiting to see what the guy does. Then a light comes on inside and I see a man's silhouette undoing cords on the inside of the tent. He is undoing the entrance to the tent. So I move and stand less than a foot away from the closed flaps.

Sure enough the guys finishes the cords and flings open the flaps and looks outside. It takes a moment for him to register the six foot, 270lb bearded man standing inches away from him. When it finally clicks in his brain that there is a scary-looking person right in front of him, he yelps and jumps back several feet. It took a lot of willpower not to laugh out loud. But this was a middle-aged man dressed in the polo shirt and hat of the tournament. He was one of the food servers and had arrived early to make sure there was plenty of fresh breakfast and coffee for everyone. He even offered me some, but I declined as my shift was almost over and coffee would just keep me awake too long.

I apologized for starling him and asked him why he didn't stop when I signaled him at the entrance. He said he didn't see me and apologized. I took his info and walked back to my car, chuckling the entire way.

So what little things happen at your job that make you smile to yourself?

Finally figuring out what a key goes to when I've been puzzling over it for ages. The last guy here did not organize the keys and I wasn't trained when he suddenly left and so most of it has been trial and error and trying to figure it all out.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Puppy kisses. And kittens who attack your feet, then go tearing off.
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

When I was at Future Shop:

Having fun doing Destroy-in-fields. Just me and the sledgehammer. And no one dared to come close.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

At McD's I mostly do cashiering, and I enjoy making small talk with customers, especially if there's a wait for their food.

Once I got this lovely American family. As I'm pretty much the best English speaker at that particular location they enjoyed my service and small talk and they wouldn't let me go off and grab their food for like 5 minutes. I literally had to excuse myself from the register to grab their whole 5 cheeseburgers and something, don't remember.

As a matter of fact, I enjoy foreign customers the most. Makes me glad I'm able to serve them in a language they understand (I can do English, basic German, basic Russian, very very basic Japanese and can understand simple phrases in a lot more languages) and it lets me exercise my language skills a wee bit.
          And for some reason there are a lot of foreigners in the area, mostly Asian people too. Some French, English, American and eastern European. Some of them I recognize instantly, and don't even bother speaking Polish to them. And they like it, I think it makes them feel like regulars and welcome.
          Music: Last.fm
          Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
            Some of them I recognize instantly, and don't even bother speaking Polish to them. And they like it, I think it makes them feel like regulars and welcome.
            My fiancee would love you, he hates having to translate for me when we go into a Polish place. I swear I'm trying to learn the language but it's hard to twist my tongue over a few ( a lot ) words.

But for my little happy moments I get is from little kids who like to talk to the mail lady. Specially this one little one who would wait for me to come up to his door. It would always confuse him when I had no mail for their house and he would come running out

Kid - Mail lady! No bills!
            Me - Yup, no bills.
            Kid - No?
            Me - Nope.
            Kid - *thinking this over* Oh....okay BYE!

Comment

I like it when stupid people get fired.......oh wait...that's not really a pleasure, that's just me being a masochist....
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Specially this one little one who would wait for me to come up to his door. It would always confuse him when I had no mail for their house and he would come running out
                O/T but... we once put the cat in the mail box right before the mailman came... so he opened the box and kitty poked her head out at him.

for here... the simple things of getting to see the bf during lunch of course
                and... when i get a job that's something i'm really good at.
                and when the work we get isn't stupid work

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  My fiancee would love you, he hates having to translate for me when we go into a Polish place. I swear I'm trying to learn the language but it's hard to twist my tongue over a few ( a lot ) words.
                  Then again I have some American and French customers that insist on ordering in Polish, tho they support themselves with English.
                  And they often ask about grammar and pronunciation.
                  Music: Last.fm
                  Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

One of the truly satisfying pleasures at my place is when you get given a task at random and someone says, genuinely, that they're glad it's you doing it. That said, a living wage is always good...

Rapscallion

Comment

it's the little things

When I meet a customer who will wander up and have a chat like you've known them all your life, and occasionally drop in with sneaky chocolates.
                      Please excuse me , I need to wander round the corner to scream now, before my head explodes.

Comment

When a random member of the public believes you (the job) does a good job, and they honestly mean it. I'm easy to please!
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I like it when customers tell me I have a nice smile.
                          I like flirting with some of the 70+yrs old men who come through my line, when we both know we're just playing a game.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Having my favorite coworkers come up to me for daily hugs.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I once had an email from a co-worker which said "You have no idea how much I'm loving you at the moment". - cos I was doing some of his admin work for him - and not stuffing it up.

Also, when I get a caller who is actually a person, and treats me like one as well - usually night workers as well - so we chat a bit.

And... getting told by TL that they aren't worried about what I do, cos they know I'm good and trustworthy
                              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Working...
                              X