This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my job, but...

There are things connected to it that can make the day seem sad.

My 1st call this morning:

Me: Thank you for calling the Make A Wish Foundation. How can I help you?

Very nice, quiet gentlman: Hello. My 5 year old granddaughter died from cancer last week and I have some checks from friends that are for Make A Wish in her name. Where do I send them to?

Sometimes, calls like that can just crush you.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

*comforts*

That would be a downer... but at least your doing something for the much better good...?

Comment

Yeah, it's just sad to hear the stories sometimes. I also get a lot of calls from family of former wish children who passed away.

But we get a lot of nice stories too. Just depends on my mood that day which one I focus on.

Thanks.

Comment

My son received his wish in 2002 and passed away this past December. The Mass. chapter of Make-A-Wish and Give Kids the World were two of the charities where we directed people who wanted to make memorial donations.

Thank you for what you do, even though it is very emotional; you give lots of seriously ill children and families good memories they can have forever. It means more than you can ever imagine.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
          My son received his wish in 2002 and passed away this past December. The Mass. chapter of Make-A-Wish and Give Kids the World were two of the charities where we directed people who wanted to make memorial donations.

Thank you for what you do, even though it is very emotional; you give lots of seriously ill children and families good memories they can have forever. It means more than you can ever imagine.
          Thank you and a Big HUG. I am very sorry for your loss.

Comment

I would be careful about posting exactly where you work
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
              I would be careful about posting exactly where you work
              What's wrong with it? Sheldonrs isn't saying anything bad.

I think I'd cry hearing stories like that over the phone.
              Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

It's more a chance that someone working for the MAW foundation would google for their place of employment (I do that for this place from time to time), and possibly find a reference to themselves (unlikely) or may have a grudge that they could further by taking a post on here to HR. It's a small chance, but we prefer for members to take reasonable steps to protect themselves.

That said, I really cannot see how the post could have been worded to avoid discovery. It would also have lost all effect. I think the post is harmless to the poster, and that's my main concern.

Raspcallion

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                  Do you mind me asking what your son's wish was?

Comment

Thanks for the warnings but I'm not worried. I love my job but if posting something about it caused me any trouble at the office, I would not like the job anymore and I'd leave. Liking my job has always been more important than keeping my job.

Comment

Sheldon, you have my utmost respect for working for such a great organization and dealing with those heartbreaking calls.

Dips - please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Thank you Peppergirl.

Comment

Working...
                        X