This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional References?

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but - I was filling out an application the other day and they wanted you to list four professional references. I'm kind of confused by that. What do they mean? People that you have worked with? Former managers/supervisors? I assumed it was the latter. ? But that doesn't make much sense because I already listed my former managers in the "Job Experience" section. So I just put down a bunch of old team leaders and such. Then they want phone numbers, but I've never had the personal or home phone numbers of anybody I've ever worked with, let alone TL's, supervisors, or managers. So I just put down the number for the company itself, although I know those people aren't even there anymore. But I didn't know what else to do?? I haven't worked in quite awhile.

I'm afraid that this whole "Professional References" thing is going to screw me up. They aren't going to be able to get in touch with anybody I listed.

"Professional References" are commonly ex boss/supervisors/managers at your former work place. Baisicly a repeat if you already put them in the 'Job Experience' section, or any co-workers that can vouch for you. This is also a good place to put the numbers of people you have done community/volunteer work with.

I'd advise to NOT put peoples names down next to numbers you know they are not at. That might actually gum you up. I wish you good luck though.

Comment

I'd advise to NOT put peoples names down next to numbers you know they are not at. That might actually gum you up. I wish you good luck though.
      That's the problem, most of my former jobs were seasonal ones where the supervisors/managers come and go each year and it was years ago anyway. The one long-term job that I had, the company moved so no one is there anymore. I literally know of NO former supervisors/managers of mine who are still there. So that kind of screws me up.

Comment

Then just write down the company, and the reason why they are not contactable. If it is seasonal, at least try to find out who the person or number you call for hirees, so they can at least say 'yeah, they worked here'. For companies that moved (or you are to far away from for their number to be valid) just put the reason why they are not contactable.

I had the same problem when I started working in West Canada. I had tutored english in Saudi Arabia and done office work there for several years, but of course no one is going to call THAT far away for an entry level job. My other and only job back here was a janitor for a veteranary office in East Canada, and they had moved.

I just put down where I worked, and in the 'Profesional Ref's' section I wrote the name of each person down I worked for, and why they were not contactable.

Most times they don't bother with those if there from a while ago, as long as you give a valid reason as to why you have not been working all that time inbetween. They mostly look at what experience you had BEFORE that and go from there.

Since it 'has been awhile' (how long? a few months? A few years?) the longer it was, the more there going to look at the resume and decide if they will take a gamble. Since it's been awhile, if they give you an interview, the main reason why you will be hired or not will be from that, and NOT your resume, since they'll try to see how much 'hireability' you have retained.

aka: it's just as much a crapshoot as hunting for a job for anyone else . Wish you good luck, as 'been there, done that, got the gray hairs'.

Comment

I have great professinal references, simply because I am a great worker. The fact that I know a lot of dirty secrets helps too.

No one has ever told me if they actually contact those references, so I have no idea if it they were even worth putting down.
          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Place I work checked them, oh yes they did. They checked everyone I ever came into contact with, up to and including the homeless guy I gave a sandwich to 5 years ago. At least, it feels like that.

They don't have to be managers. They could be people you worked with. Just make sure they are people that will give you a good word. And then give them a heads up that someone might be calling them about you.

You can put some that can't be gotten ahold of, but if all your references are dead ends, it will look suspicious.

Be creative. I put my husband down as a reference, because he was someone I'd worked with professionally. Maybe a little weird, but it was a legit reference. I'd not only worked with him, but I'd worked FOR him on occasion, doing contract work.

Comment

It should be mentioned that you should call and ASK your references before you use them. Make sure that they would be okay with being a reference for you. In my experience, most people are flattered that you consider them a trusted source to put your future in their hands. Also, those who wouldn't say very nice things about you are usually decent enough to tell you to find someone else. Good Luck!
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X