Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am now required to go OFF THE CLOCK to take a bathroom break...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am now required to go OFF THE CLOCK to take a bathroom break...

Basically they've been having issues at my call center with people not following schedules, every day you come in you are given a schedule in the system that looks something like this:

Call time 10:00 am - 1:00PM
    Break 1:00PM - 1:15 PM
    Call time 1:15PM - 3PM
    Lunch 3PM - 3:30PM

And so forth. We aren't required to take breaks at the exact times the system says we should (though we are encouraged to) but they have recently implemented a rule that paid breaks (ie not a lunch break) MUST be taken in their full 15 minute increments, they cannot be split up.

This poses a problem. If a bathroom break only takes me 4 minutes, I may not want to use a whole 15 for that. If I don't want to, our only option is to Logout of the system (and by design go OFF the clock), use the bathroom, then return and log back in.

We only have one "break" code that allows us to take our breaks and it must be used for a full 15 minute break. Unless we want to use a whole break, we must go off the clock to use the bathroom.

A bit frustrating to me that I end having to stay later than my shift time to make up time I spent on bathroom breaks while off the clock.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I see this happening where I work soon.

Can you guess why?

Too many people going to the bathroom between breaks. And not because they have to, either.

Because they want to wander the halls and go talk to friends or just fool around. Because they're bored.

So the few of us who truly DO have to pee are punished for other people's idiocy.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
      I see this happening where I work soon.

Can you guess why?

Too many people going to the bathroom between breaks. And not because they have to, either.

Because they want to wander the halls and go talk to friends or just fool around. Because they're bored.

So the few of us who truly DO have to pee are punished for other people's idiocy.
      We actually at one time had a bathroom break code but it was removed and you can probably guess why: rampant abuse. One of my sups once told me when we had it he spent 50% of his time policing it.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Aaarrh! This reminds me of when I had to work at that horrible call centre that gave directory assistance. We were given a time sheet when we started our shift, and we only had three 15minute breaks for the whole day. There rules were that if we logged off the computer system more than 60 seconds past the allocated time, we had money deducted from our pay. Do you know how unfair that is?? Like when I was sitting there taking calls and suddenly had the urge to go to the bathroom. My allocated break wasn’t for another hour – I was not going to wait a whole hour and possibly wet myself.
        So I logged off and consequently got in trouble for it! Same thing happened when I was coughing and desperately needed a drink of water. After I got up to get it, I was told “You can’t do that! Raise your hand and get a manager to get it for you!” Like, sure I love that kind of service, but I also like a bit of independence and not having to rely on a manager to get me a drink of water – I’m an adult, not a child! And they wonder why they have such a high staff turnover rate!
        I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
        another time, this world would fade away
        To find true love, is like no other joy,
        our choice is here
        be happy for today

Comment

I remember working on a checkout, and when I was hired telling the manager that because of my medical condition, if I have to pee, I HAVE TO pee. I made it clear what I needed and told them if it would be a problem to NOT HIRE ME because I physically cant do anything about it.

Even then I would have to ring and wait and ring and wait.... it was only after I threated to report them to OSH that she finally realised I was serious. Thats with making sure I used the facilities on my unpaid breaks as well.

She still wouldnt let other checkers use the bathroom
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Here, if you need to go to the bathroom, they let you go. But then you must take the X amount of minutes off your breaktime. So if you take 4 minutes, then you simply take 4 minutes less from your next break.
            It's unhealthy to sit and pinch, you end up damaging your bladder and sphincter muscles.
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Oww - so sorry for you.

We here get breaks, and PT - Personal Time - and they don't worry about it unless you start averaging over 5 mins a day... And if you've had a particularly bad call - then they'll let you off for a bit to stew or let it out or whatever. I've heard of TL's taking agents outside to the park or for a coffee after some really bad ones!
              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

When I worked doing night shift data entry in this office a couple of years ago, we were apparently way behind, and they took our only 15 minute break away, meaning that we had just our 30 min lunch break for the entire 8 and 1/2 hour shift.

We were still allowed to take bathroom breaks (oh how generous) so what everyone eventually did was just go and take a 10-15 minute bathroom break. What was even more ridiculous was that our supervisors told us that we were LUCKY, because the day shift got their 15 minute break and their lunch taken away. So, apparently the day shift was working without a single break. I couldn't understand how they all put up with that, or how the higher ups could possibly justify not giving the whole office one single break all day long.

That is why when I worked as a restroom cleaner it was a pretty kick ass job despite the stigma attached to it. You could take a bathroom break whenever, and for however long you damn well pleased

Comment

We were still allowed to take bathroom breaks (oh how generous) so what everyone eventually did was just go and take a 10-15 minute bathroom break. What was even more ridiculous was that our supervisors told us that we were LUCKY, because the day shift got their 15 minute break and their lunch taken away. So, apparently the day shift was working without a single break. I couldn't understand how they all put up with that, or how the higher ups could possibly justify not giving the whole office one single break all day long.
                  If they really were taking away lunches, that sounds very illegal. At least in my state employers have to give employees a half hour lunch break if they work a certain number of hours in a shift (I think it's 6).

Unless this is not required in your state.

Once again I'm starting to feel thankful that I did not get any of the call-center jobs I applied for.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    If they really were taking away lunches, that sounds very illegal. At least in my state employers have to give employees a half hour lunch break if they work a certain number of hours in a shift (I think it's 6).

Unless this is not required in your state.

Once again I'm starting to feel thankful that I did not get any of the call-center jobs I applied for.
                    I have yet to hear of a jurisdiction in which such a thing IS legal

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Be thankful IPF...be veeeeeeery thankful. I've been trying and failing at getting out the call center business. It is no joke with the extreme restrictions and scrutinization.
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I am so thankful that my call center is relatively small and very laid-back. Not to say that management doesn't do some really boneheaded, petty things on occasion, but for the most part we have alot of freedom and no scripting.

I once worked for one that you had to get permission to go to the bathroom and if you were busy and your throat got dry from taking too many calls, you had to hold up a plastic cup as a signal that the floor runner had to go get you some water.

Needless to say, me and my whole posse jumped ship pretty quick on that one. They are no longer in business. I cant imagine why!
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                          I have yet to hear of a jurisdiction in which such a thing IS legal
                          Wisconsin-there is no law whatsoever requiring ANY kind of a break for anyone over the age of 18

I've actually worked a 14 hours shift changing oil and not had one break.
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

BlaqueKatt, it's the same way in PA. I know, I looked it up.
                            Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                              I am so thankful that my call center is relatively small and very laid-back. Not to say that management doesn't do some really boneheaded, petty things on occasion, but for the most part we have alot of freedom and no scripting.
                              This sounds almost exactly like my current place of employment. I actually rather like my call center, for the most part.

Anyhow - we get what's called "AUX" time, meaning, you're still logged in and on the clock, but are not available to take calls, which is what we use for bathroom/smoke/wandering around breaks. As long as you don't use too much, they don't really care how you use it/split it up. I've actually recently been told to take more breaks - my availability, which just has to be above 92%, is actually 98%.
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X