This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake reference check

Is it illegal to call your current work or previous work and do a fake reference check, to see what they say about you?

I mean, I would probably have someone else do it in case they recognized my voice, but is this a good idea or bad idea?

My GF wants me to call a place she worked, but they bullied her around, to see what they say, and I am more than half-tempted to do so. She has an interview coming up, and doesn't know if she should list them.
    JB: Are you the grief counselor?
    GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

It depends on the company. Do you know if they use The Work Number? If so, then you're probably not going to get very far. Other places will only do it via written reference, so you might have that hurdle as well. Most places nowadays will only confirm the dates worked, how much they earned and whether or not the former employee would be rehireable.

I don't see an issue with doing one just to see, but then again I'm rather unscrupulous like that.

ETA: how long did she work at that job. If it's for a short amount of time, then it might just be worth leaving them off. Or she can tell the prospective employer that the job was not a good fit for her, something along those lines.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Haha, I just did one for her. It was kind of funny.

CT: May I speak with ***?
      ***: Hi, this is ***.
      CT: Hi, this is (random name) from (random company). I was calling to do a reference check for (AngryCas' Womanpiece). Can I ask you a couple quick questions?
      ***: Sure!
      CT: Ok, great! Let's see... I need to verify that she worked here from (one month) to (another month). Is that correct?
      ***: Yep!
      CT: Ok...good...and would you hire her again?
      ***: Yes! Yes! Of course.
      CT: Oh, good! Is she an outgoing person?
      ***: *laughs* Yes, she is.
      CT: Good. That was all I really needed to know. Thank you so much for your help!
      ***: No problem at all!

I have to say -- I am going to have to use this in the future.
      JB: Are you the grief counselor?
      GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

Quoth AngryCas View Post
        Is it illegal to call your current work or previous work and do a fake reference check, to see what they say about you?
        Illegal? To find out what's being said about you that you should know as it affects future job prospects? God help us if that ever becomes illegal.

In fact, there are services who will do the work for you. For instance, here's one of them

Comment

I don't know if it's a state thing or if it's Federal, but in California they are only allowed to tell someone whether or not you worked there and for how long. They cannot say anything more than that. You could've been the best employee that they ever had and they're, by law, not allowed to say anything. My guess is too many people got bad reviews and played the "They didn't like me" card in their complaints to whomever they complain to.

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
            I don't know if it's a state thing or if it's Federal, but in California they are only allowed to tell someone whether or not you worked there and for how long. They cannot say anything more than that. You could've been the best employee that they ever had and they're, by law, not allowed to say anything. My guess is too many people got bad reviews and played the "They didn't like me" card in their complaints to whomever they complain to.

CH
            In California they are required to state the dates employed, the last wage paid and the last title held. They are legally allowed to say more than that, but they open themselves up to be sued if they say something bad about the former employee, so most employers will only give that information. Some employers will answer if they're asked if the person would be considered for rehire.

Yes, employers have been sued for saying things true and untrue. Also, a former employer was sued for a letter of reference he gave to an employee to get rid of him. The employee used it to get another job. The new employer ended up firing the employee and sued the former employer because they hired the employee partially based on the glowing lie that was the letter of reference.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I don't know if it's law or just a near universal policy in Alberta, but companies I've worked for will only confirm length of employment, and possibility of rehiring. However, my managers made clear that there's a world of difference to be had when employees are good or bad when telling those things. Tone of voice and phrasing are everything.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Oh heck yeah, Broomjockey. One conversation I've overheard which says everything:

(I'll put the other side in italics, since I this is what I was told they said when I asked later)

CW: My co-worker

OS: Hi, I'm calling to confirm employment for EJ please.
                CW: He worked here from Sept 2004 to Feb 2005.
                CW: General Manager
                CW: Not without speaking to my lawyer first.

Would you hire EJ?

Comment

Remember kids, there are things you can convey with tone of voice that will never hold up in court.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

In Texas it is date/ length of hire, last title held, last rate of pay, and would you hire back.
                    In the future I would be very careful placing those calls for ones self or good friends.
                    Typically if a company calls for refrence and doesn't give a glowing report, if they really want you, they will give you a chance to defend yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X