This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not again-soon to be unemployed

and I just found out I'm out of a job as of june first-this is my second contract with this company-I'll have to start out at the bottom all over again if I switch to the last remaining contract-paywise as well(I'm at $12/hour)---dammit someone spin the wheel of dieties and find out which one I pissed off and how to appease them?

and yes I've been looking, everyone wants a degree to hire you(I've even seen a request for an accounting degree to be a grocery store cashier )-plus I currently can't update my resume, which has as a referance-someone who's currently in jail awaiting charges for felony child abuse/drug charges(I sent out the resume to one place already-because I don't watch the news)
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Sorry to hear that. Start posting out resumes online or face to face ASAP, but try and look for any internal postings in your job that's up your alley. Never hurts to try. See if you can get other people besides that one person who would put in a good word for you.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      -plus I currently can't update my resume, which has as a referance-someone who's currently in jail awaiting charges for felony child abuse/drug charges(I sent out the resume to one place already-because I don't watch the news)
      Why can't you update your resumé to remove this person?

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        but try and look for any internal postings in your job that's up your alley.
        sorry a bit unclear I guess-I work in an outsourced call center-the Entire contract is being pulled, the remaining contract is for life insurance, and to switch to that contract would mean a $4/hour cut in pay, and being back on the phones(I don't do so well with people screaming at me), and I'd have to wait another year for a raise(they're based off time on contract) when I'm due for one on this (cancelled)contract in August. And that remaining contract doesn't generate enough revenue to keep the site open for very long.

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
        Why can't you update your resumé to remove this person?
        it was written in MS word which got corrupted and had to be removed from my computer-I can't even open the file. And I can't reinstall without paying for new software(can't really afford right now)-install disks "borrowed" and not returned(stolen), and I refuse to pirate anything.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

it was written in MS word which got corrupted and had to be removed from my computer-I can't even open the file. And I can't reinstall without paying for new software(can't really afford right now)-install disks "borrowed" and not returned(stolen), and I refuse to pirate anything.
          You don't have to pirate anything. OpenOffice will open an MS word or excel file without any problems. And it's free. http://www.openoffice.org
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

everyone wants a degree to hire you(I've even seen a request for an accounting degree to be a grocery store cashier )
            Double-ewe. Tee. Eff.

This world is more messed up than I thought. Sorry to hear about your job Best wishes on the hunt!
            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

OpenOffice is great. I've been using it for YEARS. Does everything office does. If you don't want to do that for some reason you can use ww.zamzar.com (People I've told about it claim that they don't spam you, but I don't know for sure. Be careful.) to convert it to another format.

Comment

I use openoffice too. All the time.

Another free program to use is AbyWord. You can store the program itself on a flash drive and carry your files everywhere. Including use it on a Public Access computer and still get to all your documents without having to worry whether the program is on the computer or not.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

And never forget, if all else fails, there's always Google's office suite. Free and everywhere.

[/corporate shill]

Comment

Quoth clowninasack View Post
                    OpenOffice is great. I've been using it for YEARS. Does everything office does. If you don't want to do that for some reason you can use ww.zamzar.com (People I've told about it claim that they don't spam you, but I don't know for sure. Be careful.) to convert it to another format.
                    I love OpenOffice.org (and the program is called by the entire name) and all, and use it at home, but it does not do everything MS Office does. But it does about 90% of it, and it's free. The document editor is closer to Word than the spreadsheet program is to Excel.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      I love OpenOffice.org (and the program is called by the entire name) and all, and use it at home, but it does not do everything MS Office does. But it does about 90% of it, and it's free. The document editor is closer to Word than the spreadsheet program is to Excel.

^-.-^
                      Yep...even Access, Powerpoint, etc. You can also save the file in either openoffice.org or the actual format for word (.doc), excel (.xls) and such. It's awesome!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'll vouch for OpenOffice as well. There are a few things that Word did that either OpenOffice doesn't or I can't find them yet, but they're not absolutely crucial (just convenient), so I'm learning to live without them. I do wish it had a simpler Track Changes feature.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

There are a few major things that the spreadsheet program doesn't do that I use constantly in Excel. We've had some problems at work because the old IT guy thought it would be great to have some computers with MS Office, some with MS Works , and some with OpenOffice.org.

Yeah, great way to make all the computers match up, like he was told to do. Repeatedly. Ugh. The guy drives me nuts. At least he isn't doing the majority of the IT stuff any more.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X