This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad time for coworker to get sick.

One of my coworkers is sick, he's got a pretty decent flu. (Nothing contagious I think, because noone else has gotten sick... I have a small head cold, but I've had that for a week and it's mostly gone, plus he's only been sick like 3 days.)

Anyway, Wednesday night we get BUSY. We have a special that gives people discounts on bowling, food, and BEER.

Well, he was working, just sweating it out. Manager even let him get a chair so he could sit down. We were gonna let him go home a bit early, but he ended up getting REALLY bad (Threw up like 3 times.) So the manager sent him home even earlier.

Well, I thought we'd be fine, because we had already gotten a small rush, and usually on wednesday we just get the one rush and then we're done.

Oh was I wrong... of course, about 10 minutes after my coworker leaves, WHAM. We get SLAMMED. We had a line of like 20 people, and only one register (mine).

Took us like 30 minutes to finally get everyone setup.

I don't blame him though, I mean, if you're sick, you're sick... what can ya do, ya know?
    Last edited by Lingering Grin; 05-03-2008, 08:48 AM.
    <Insert clever signature here>

Ugh, tossing his guts three times? Yeah, time to go home.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
      Ugh, tossing his guts three times? Yeah, time to go home.
      Well one of the times doesn't REALLY count.

His stomach was hurting, so he decided to get something to help settle it (tablespoon of baking soda). Well, it kinda had the opposite affect. Instead of calming his stomach it just turned everything out all at once and "cleaned" his system. He actually felt better for a bit after that, but then just got bad again.
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Boy, I've been here! Just before I started my current job I caught the flu. A _very_ nasty one at that!

Well, there are a number of trueisms in life, and one is you _don't_ call in sick the first day(s) of work!

So I went in the entire week. Probably infected a third of the office by that time. Over seven years later the office admin _still_ hasn't forgiven me for that (she got it and gave it to both her daughters)!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          Boy, I've been here! Just before I started my current job I caught the flu. A _very_ nasty one at that!

Well, there are a number of trueisms in life, and one is you _don't_ call in sick the first day(s) of work!
          I went through that problem last month. Got called for a temp job assignment, went in, the next day I had a bad cough. I still went in, because I didn't want a bad mark on my record. Plus, I figured it was allergies, so I took various OTC medicines and went through Halls cough drops like candy.

Three weeks later, I wake up one morning feeling like I'd been steamrolled. Had no choice but to call in sick. Went to the doctor, discovered I had both bronchitis and sinusitis!

I hate being sick, more, I hate being sick when it interferes with my job. All that time I was between jobs, I was healthy, then I get a good job and BAM!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Three weeks later, I wake up one morning feeling like I'd been rickrolled.
            Fixed that for you.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, I don't know if you know this yet, but somehow everyone on the planet knows when someplace is shorthanded. That place is then THE place to go to.

Trust me.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                His stomach was hurting, so he decided to get something to help settle it (tablespoon of baking soda).
                Sorry, not to mock the ill, but "duh." Just a straight tablespoon of baking soda? It'd react with the acid in his stomach, and create a mix of a salt (can't remember which) and carbon dioxide, and the expansion would force an out. If you're already not feeling well...
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Today the afternoon carryout guy called in sick.

Actually, no he didn't. His father called him in sick instead. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for the fact that he semi-regularly has dad call him in sick.

As a result, the morning carryout guy had to stay an extra hour and a half late. Pretty busy day for carryouts too.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

One time, I was feeling terrible and I got dizzy when I got to the time clock to punch in. I spent the work day drinking Coca Cola® so I wouldn't keep getting dizzy.

I had agreed to come in early the previous day. I didn't think it was a good idea to back out of it.
                    My Fanfic Page
                    My Fiction Page
                    My Social Group
                    My Pet Social Group
                    My You Tube Channel

Comment

Ain't that always the way?

Our call center was DEAD slow last Saturday, so we let 2 people go home without pay. It was a gorgeous day and people were itching to get outside.

Of course, literally TEN minutes after they left, the phones went nuts. Sometimes I swear the SC's have a hidden camera somewhere and purposely call when we're short-staffed.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                      X