This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saying dumb things at work

You know when you starting saying something and then about half way through you know you it's going to be something dumb but you keep going anyway? Well, it happened to me yesterday.

What's worse was I did this in front of three ASMs and my lead.

I was cleaning out the cabinet where we keep all of our sncs and handheld printers. We are having a big inspection in a few weeks so everyone is freaking out about it. Well, I pulled out a bunch of junk that we used for the last generation of sncs, such as some old cords, credit card readers, charging bays, etc. Then I found a whole buch of these weird packaged cords. They had what looked like to be a ethernet plug on one end and something like a monitor plug on the other. I held it up and asked, "what's this?"

A couple of ASMs and my lead come up and we are start examining it. No one knows what it is. Then, I quipped,

"Well, it connects to something..."

It gets quiet and then the Ops manager goes,

"Yeah, I think we all guessed that."

So they all start laughing and one of them pats me on the head with a "It's okay, Rine." And I'm all, "hey, hey, now...I try, okay!"

Meanwhile, one of the ASMs has gone back to other ASMs and managers and says, "Rine found out what these are for--they connect to something!"

I was only slightly embarrassed. I think everyone needed a laugh anyhow.

Anyone else have some stories to share?

Probably too many. That cable, though, if it's an RJ-45 on one end (can you plug it into a switch? Does it completely fill the port?), and has 9 pins on the other end, is a serial console cable.

The use I've seen for it has been to connect some servers up to a portable computer (so no monitor/keyboard/mouse required), and also to connect some switches up to same.

Comment

I have done that alot.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
      X