This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do...

Couple weeks ago some bad stuff went down at my work. Apparently someone (a hotel employee?) faxed the owners of our hotel a letter that was unsigned complaining about the Management of the hotel. As a result our District Manager came down from 6 hours away to have a meeting with the crew. Of course, no one fessed up.

I love this hotel. Management is probably one of the most professional/fair in the business travel industry. Our hotel has been limited funds from the owners, and so some of our major maitenance has gotten behind. Yes, it has affect our scores from guests. Yes, it was not fair for the company's former best hotel to get the short end of the stick. Not to mention that the small, private company has opened 3 brand new properties in a matter of years.

Unlike most of the best employees that have worked here, I have stuck around. After our hotel dropped it's Medical Insurance and went to a couple "supplemental" companies, the turn-over has been horrible. We used to be the best paid and had Medical & Life Insurance (as far as hotels in the area go). Now we have Aflac, and a lot of people are having issues getting any payments from them for even the most basic things. It's disheartening. It's bad when people working in Mcy D's have better health insurance then a higher end hotel's employees.

Now to last night: We used to have a bonus program where every night we filled without walking guests and if everyone showed up we would get a "fill bonus". I came to work last night to hear even more disheartening news. Our District Manager dropped the Fill Bonus program. I had been working really hard to be able to get all the employees their fill bonuses whenever possible, to no avail. I called my Manager to confirm that this was indeed true. She said it was, but she was going to petition our DM to have it put back in place.

I am one of the longest employees at the hotel. I love this hotel! I love the people I work with (for the most part). I don't want to leave. But, I have a life that is advancing. I do not have children, but if I did this lack of incentive really doesn't make this job worth staying in.

I am looking for advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by thehippie777; 06-05-2008, 09:13 AM.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

if you're happy with where your life is right now, and can accept the loss of the bonuses, stay, if you aren't happy see if you can get a better offer, but you'll have to completely start over building the trust of your management and co workers and will probably have a few more asshat douche-waffles giving you catbutt-faces

Comment

When I was young and childless, health insurance and retirement didn't seem like a big deal. Well, if I'd been paying into a 401(k) then, I'd be in so much better shape now. And it was very lucky that I didn't have an accident or serious illness that would have destroyed me financially.

Someone I work with was talking about another job where she would be paid more, but the benefits would not be as good. I pointed out that she had been talking about having a baby. At my last firm, my insurance for my family cost me almost twice as much as it does now, and my co-pays were much higher. If she went to this other firm, the extra money she made would probably be eaten up in additional medical fees, especially if she had a baby. The firm we're at now is less stressful than most firms, which was also something to keep in mind.

I hated leaving my last firm. I had worked with most of those people for almost 8 years, having worked together at another firm that closed. But I couldn't take the stress and abuse from the firm itself anymore. I still miss them so much, but I had to put myself and my family ahead of my work family.

It will be very hard to say good-bye, but the work family you're in is extremely dysfunctional, so it sounds like it's time to go. It is NOT going to get better. It will only get worse, until either the company hits bottom and stays there, or they're bought out and rebuilt. Staying with them will turn you co-dependent and perpetually unhappy.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I think my grandma's saying sums up your situation quite well "the loyal person will stay with the ship during turbulance, the stupid person will stay with the ship as she sinks" So if this is just a turbulent time and you do feel loyalty to the company then stick it out... if however the ship is indeed sinking staying onboard goes beyond loyalty and turns into stupidity and you should bail as quickly as possible.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
        X