Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I get an amusing employee review, plus a co-worker gets a talking-to.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get an amusing employee review, plus a co-worker gets a talking-to.

One day last week I got to work and was given a few cleaning jobs to do (dusting, some spray & wipe, just some little things). When I finish, my supervisor says "hey sarahj, can you sign this?" And she pulls out an employee review form and ticks a row of boxes, then signs it, then I sign. I was like but then I realized that she didn't even bother watching me on a register, she knew I'd pass all the checkpoints, so I got all ticks! (It's basically yes/no, tick/cross on the form, no middle ground or marks out of 10 or anything.)

So, yeah. I was reveiwed. I win.

Later that shift, I found out that another employee is getting a talking-to from a supervisor or manager (something serious). Her register is always short, and she's pretty rude/stupid to customers, plus she's been working there almost as long as me (almost a year now) and she still can't figure out how to order change and send up $$ to the office. Now that I was "promoted" to working a few office shifts each week, I have to suffer through this. When we send up $$, it's $20 notes or higher. Don't send up $5 notes! You need those to give change! And when ordering coins and small notes, you don't need 6 rolls of $1 coins. Max EVER is 2 rolls/bundles of each denomination. How were you going to fit 6 in the register? Anyway, she can't be completely stupid cos she was in my sister's high school graduating class (finished year 12 last year). She's a nice person, but very clueless to talk to and work with. I'm now interested to know the results of the talking-to. I'm sure everyone has a co-worker like this. Can't work with them cos they're so useless, but can't be rude/dismissive cos they're so nice!
    Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
    Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
    <3 Arrested Development

Quoth sarahj View Post
    she can't be completely stupid cos she was in my sister's high school graduating class

thanks to the school system's treatment of "no child left behind"(which I may start over on fratching if no one beats me to it)-graduating high school does not mean not stupid anymore. I knew a kid back when I was in school that graduated with his class and could not read above a third grade level.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I have a coworker who got all kinds of pissed off at me and Boss Man, because she was sitting near by when I got my performance review and I got all high marks.

She didn't think it was fair I got all high marks and she didn't, because she is so much smarter then the rest of us, just ask her, she will tell you!

At least I don't sit near her anymore and have to listen to her bitch about having to actually work and/or see her sleeping at her desk. Plus, I nearly lost my lunch one day when she went into great detail about her sex life. NO! JUST NO!
      Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        thanks to the school system's treatment of "no child left behind"(which I may start over on fratching if no one beats me to it)-graduating high school does not mean not stupid anymore. I knew a kid back when I was in school that graduated with his class and could not read above a third grade level.
        Except that the OP lives in Australia, and thus is not subjected to the "No Child Left Behind" nonsense
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          Except that the OP lives in Australia, and thus is not subjected to the "No Child Left Behind" nonsense
          Don't bet on it!!

True, we don't have the exact same policy, but they're changing things enough so it ends up being the same.

In our TAFE system (where you go for trades school... and other stuff..), it's all competency based now. Which means only 2 grades - 'Competent' or 'Not Yet Competent'... and for the latter, you get about 3 chances to get it right. Also, as far as the trades are concerned, the schools aren't allowed to fail a student... they get to keep on going until they get it right (or drop out).

My thoughts on that (well - the marks you can get anyway), is do you want a mechanic who barely passed, or one that knows her stuff ultra amazingly???

Slyt
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
            Also, as far as the trades are concerned, the schools aren't allowed to fail a student... they get to keep on going until they get it right (or drop out).
            Well consider that people learning trades are probably doing or will do an apprenticeship, where they get hands-on experience. Plus the practice at trade school that you mentioned. I'm studying to be an engineer at uni, and you know how much experience I get before graduation? 12 weeks of work experience that I have to organise myself. My bf the plumber & gas-fitter gets 4 years of experience!!!
            Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
            Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
            <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Sometimes I get to a point where I could care less if they are nice...only goes so far when someone is dumb or at least acts like it.
              When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Being book smart doesn't equal having common sense.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth sarahj View Post

Later that shift, I found out that another employee is getting a talking-to from a supervisor or manager (something serious). Her register is always short, and she's pretty rude/stupid to customers, plus she's been working there almost as long as me (almost a year now) and she still can't figure out how to order change and send up $$ to the office. Now that I was "promoted" to working a few office shifts each week, I have to suffer through this. When we send up $$, it's $20 notes or higher. Don't send up $5 notes! You need those to give change! And when ordering coins and small notes, you don't need 6 rolls of $1 coins. Max EVER is 2 rolls/bundles of each denomination. How were you going to fit 6 in the register?
                  Even though I don't work office shifts, I know what you go through because my first job required me to count the drawer in and out at the start and end of every shift and to do the same at the end of the night. It really irritated me when I'd open my drawer and find three fat rolls of dollar coins along with another 2 rolls worth already in my drawer.
                  Regarding the $$ to the office situation, I once did that where I accidentally sent up a few $5 notes. Now I don't do it, but I forget to send up my $20's instead because I run out of them. Several of the office staff threatened bodily harm on me (as a joke mind you) for stuffing the EFT slips in with the notes and making it a difficult task to retreive said notes. Now I do it correctly
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                    That's pretty much a rule these days. It's very rare that you find someone with both, at least in my experience.

Now as far as finding those with neither, that's a different story.
                    Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Amen to that, Becks.

There are some people who can probably quote Aristotle word for word from dawn till dusk, but don't realize you have to look both ways before crossing the street.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                        And why do they call it "common" sense, when it isn't a commonly shared attribute among people?
                        "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

"no child left behind"
                          hmmm maybe I should make a fratching account. there's a lot i could say about the "no child left unpassed" policies.

i'm surprised the gal hasn't been fired yet.
                          a long time ago (over 15 years ago, not even sure when i worked there) i had a job at a crappy discount store ... i don't even think they even exist anymore. i had a couple of brain farts on the registered and was over twice and under twice... so with 4 incidents i got fired. And that was from a low-quality store that only paid us in cash - i don't think they could afford to print checks).

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                            And why do they call it "common" sense, when it isn't a commonly shared attribute among people?
                            Because it USED to be a common attribute.

Comment

Working...
                            X