This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question

I'm looking for work now, and I was just thinking about something.

Most places you work at have a rule about hand washing.

I have extremely sensitive skin, and almost EVERY soap I use causes an allergic reaction. Itching, burning, redness, pain.

Usually what I do is rinse my hands well in as hot of water as I have access to/ can stand. I then use hand sanitizer (I carry it around with me everywhere).

Is that acceptable?
    "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

I would imagine it would have to be. I would say in this situation a doctors note stating this as a medical condition would carry the most weight for something like this. At least then any place that would hire you would have no choice but to follow the doctors instructions.

Beyond that I will also say you may stand to lose job opportunities based on this, but at the same time this is not something you would want to keep from a potential employer for fear of not being hired.

Comment

one word: gloves

Be prepared to purchase your own supply of gloves if you intend on working in a food service job. A few places do provide gloves, but most do not. Frequently donning fresh gloves is the only way I know of to avoid constant exposure to soaps.

Good Luck!
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
        I'm looking for work now, and I was just thinking about something.

Most places you work at have a rule about hand washing.

I have extremely sensitive skin, and almost EVERY soap I use causes an allergic reaction. Itching, burning, redness, pain.

Usually what I do is rinse my hands well in as hot of water as I have access to/ can stand. I then use hand sanitizer (I carry it around with me everywhere).

Is that acceptable?

My SO has sensitive skin that peels like hell depending on the soap he uses. The hand sanitizer works good, I would suggest to also try the Free and Clear/Natural/Green type of hand soaps. You can even get those types of dish washing soaps, detergents,etc. for your home too. MY SO's mom bought some dish washing soap from Seventh Generation and it's great!

Here's a couple of links for ya.

Seventh Generation

Drug Store.com's Listing of Green/Natural Hand Soap Products

I'm not sure what area you live in and what drug stores are common there, but this should give you a good idea of what to look for.
        Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 06-14-2008, 01:23 PM.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Would you be able to carry a small bottle of the soap you ARE able to use?
          I don't have sensitive skin but I used to do this when I didn't like the smell of the soap available at work.
          You could buy one of those travel size bottles of something and empty it out and then fill it with the right stuff.
          And that way, any potential employers would have no legitimate gripes.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            A few places do provide gloves, but most do not.
            Really? A lot of places that I have worked at and frequent to spend my hard earned money provide gloves for employees.

Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think part of the issue is that a lot of places, while they do provide gloves, may use latex ones. A lot of places find latex more readily available, and may not think to use vinyl.

On another note, I have tried all natural products (I am super into homeopathic remedies) and I still have reactions to them. Weirdly, the only soap I can use is Dr. Bronners castile soap from GNC. I have even tried baby products.
              "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

I guess it depends on what kind of work you do. I found that a lot of food work requires a lot of hand washing.

But have found that when signs that say, "Employees Must Wash hands" - people don't.

If you work an office job, that should be alright I would assume.
                You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

A little OT but I'll throw this out there. I love Cetaphil, it's a non soap cleanser great on sensitive skin.

Also my friend has a similar problem, she has to wear cotton gloves and then plastic etc gloves on top before she can use soaps to clean etc. Which might also work for you if you have latex allergies.
                  It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not the employer's option. If you can't use anti-bacterial soap, you most likely not going to get a job in food service. It's a health law issue, not a company policy issue.

I would check with the local Health department if there are alternatives in their rules. It might be required by local county or state laws. Gloves might be an option, but you might still be required to wash with soap.
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Hand sanitizer is not a substitute for soap. Bring some of your own in.
                      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Working...
                      X