This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe someone can explain this

why is it that people in hotels insist on shoving all their luggage up against their doors? not even asking the question don't they realize that makes it extremely difficult for us to deliver their express check out reciepts in the morning (sense it is possible they could come from under a rock and not know that hotels do that), but don't these people understand that they are blocking their way out if there is an emergency? All doors open into the room so to open the door they have to first move all their luggage out of the way... not something I'd want to take the time to do during a fire...
    So please, could someone explain this behavior to me, i've seen it enough times while trying to deliver the express check out reciepts that this seems to be common behavior even if a bit nonsensical.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Is this a place with card-key door locks? If so, how beefy are those things?

I'm also guessing this is to make it harder for somebody to break into the room. Although if there is a fire in the room, then they have to remove all the luggage before they can open the door and get out.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I keep my luggage zipped up at the foot of the bed.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Is this a place with card-key door locks? If so, how beefy are those things?
      "Whistler, it's a keypad. How do I get around it? uh-huh. uh-huh. Yeah. Yeah. Okay."

*Kicks door open*

"...okay."

Cookies for the ref. And I gave a BIG hint, too.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'm not very organized and my luggage is thrown in a corner or against the wall somewhere, with clothing and bits strewn about. I'd probably trip and knock myself out during a fire before I could even reach the door.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah, I'd go for the paranoia answer too. Happens all the time at my hotel so the Night Audit guy just tapes the folded bill to the door.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
            "Whistler, it's a keypad. How do I get around it? uh-huh. uh-huh. Yeah. Yeah. Okay."

*Kicks door open*

"...okay."

Buffy. The Becoming.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
              Buffy. The Becoming.
              *twitches* No, you're wrong.

It's Sneakers with Robert Redford. Right RW?
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                Yeah, I'd go for the paranoia answer too. Happens all the time at my hotel so the Night Audit guy just tapes the folded bill to the door.
                yes, but that requires carrying tape with me... I'm already carrying the receipts that I'm trying to keep orderly, the portable phone (not that it works in half the hotel anyway) and 4, yes 4, different sets of keys (one for front desk, one for kitchen, one for housekeeping, and one for maintanence)... those are the people I'm more than happy to say can stop at the desk to pick up their copy.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

*Kicks door open*

"...okay."

*Sneaks into the thread*

You know at the end of that movie they made a big mistake - the FBI chick's phone number is a real life phone number. The woman who actually had it at the time got really pissed off about all these nerds calling her.

Comment

I figured as much. Poor lady.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      I'm not very organized and my luggage is thrown in a corner or against the wall somewhere, with clothing and bits strewn about. I'd probably trip and knock myself out during a fire before I could even reach the door.
                      Me, too!!!!

Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Those card-key locks seem pretty heavy duty from the times I have stayed in hotels. Besides most hotels have a secondary "chain" style lock on the door. I would imagine the doors are very sturdy since they are fire doors also.

When I stay in a hotel for only a night or two most of my stuff will stay in the luggage. I only unpack essentials and put them in drawer. If it is a longer trip, say three or more days, I may unpack most stuff depend on what I am doing on said trip.

Comment

*Kicks door open*

"...okay."

wasnt that from one of the Blade movies?

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            why is it that people in hotels insist on shoving all their luggage up against their doors?

i've seen it enough times while trying to deliver the express check out reciepts that this seems to be common behavior even if a bit nonsensical.
                            This is definitely a first to me. I'd never heard of it before.
                            Quoth mattm04 View Post
                            Those card-key locks seem pretty heavy duty from the times I have stayed in hotels. Besides most hotels have a secondary "chain" style lock on the door. I would imagine the doors are very sturdy since they are fire doors also.
                            The chains are just barely better than worthless. I've seen more frequently a heavy duty U-type bar that fits over a knob, that serves the function of a chain--it allows the door to be opened a touch, but still "secures" the door.
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                            X