This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Grant Jobs Frustration!

So University finished up in April and I found myself unemployed until September. This is one of the few downfalls of working for the university. If there is no school, there is no job.

Anyway, I started looking in for a job the moment I returned to the island. I applied to many many places, but heard back from no one. So on May 17, I apply to the place I've been trying to get a job at since I was in grade 11. A museum that is 3km(I don't know miles) from my house. They e-mailed me saying they would be hiring the last week of May or first week of June. So I hold off applying anywhere else for a few weeks.

When I still hadn't gotten a single interview I applied to a few more places. One of them being another museum that is a 30 minute drive from my house.

The day after I applied I heard back from 30 Minute Museum. I had an interview that Friday. They told me work would be starting the following week so I should hear from them soon.

I do not hear from them all week so I apply at a few other places. One place giving me an interview on the spot. I was an amazing candidate, but hiring a student for the summer was not a good idea considering the time it took to train.

A week after I interviewed with 30 Minute Museum I get a call from TOWN Museum. They are 7 minutes from my house and would like to interview me on Monday. I was so excited so I agreed.

The next day i get a call from 30 Minute Museum saying i got the job and asking me to start on Monday. I considered saying no and taking the TOWN Museum interview, but I couldn't be sure i'd get hired at TOWN. So I accepted the offer.

The day after my first day of work 4 different organizations contact me. Two Museums, a computer camp, and one i forget. I told them I was working and said no. Then a month after I'd applied to 3km From My House Museum, I hear back from them. They ask if I can interview that week. I told 3FMHM that I would love to work there, but I already had a job. I then asked them to consider me for next summer.

Yesterday I get a call from a camp who wants me to be staff there. The frustrating thing is that ALL of these jobs are so close to my house compared to 30 Minute Museum.

All the jobs that I applied for are Government Granted jobs for Students. Many of which have to have university students. Now it's a rule for Canadian students getting government student loans that they must work the whole pre-study period. That's from May to June. However, many of these grants are 8-10 weeks which means they are only for the last two months of summer.

I don't know who to more annoyed with. I do know that i have friends with Grant Jobs who were interviewed and hired in May, even if they didn't start until July.

It's a great job. But the Gas costs are crazy.

Frustrating!
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.
Working...
X