This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job vent & looking for advice

There is a problem at work which leaves me stuck between a rock & a hard place.

Here is some background information:

I work as a parking attendant for the Visitor Parking garage inside a booth at a university located in the city where I live since March 2006. The company I work for has a contract with the university. The department I report to is Visitor Parking/Community Relations, which is responsible for making parking arrangements for people coming to the campus for business purposes & for events. There are only 55 "regular" parking spots in the garage. Visitor Parking (there is only one person working in that department, & she works from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday) can reserve one parking space up to the entire garage.

The Visitor Parking employee, who makes the event list which I pick up at the campus police dept. every morning, made a set of guidelines for me & my co-worker to follow. When I first started working there, there was not a set of guidelines in writing to follow. This is the first time anyone made a set of guidelines to follow.

Here is some information from the set of guidelines the Visitor Parking employee made:

If all 50 spots in lot are reserved for the day NO ONE is to park in there.
    Regarding the lot full/open sign: The lot open sign can be changed to full when either the entire lot is full or when the only available parking spots are for the people on the event list. Call Visitor Parking/Community Relations to have the lot open sign changed to full.
    The Parking Office (an entirely different dept.), has control over the lot open/full sign.

Earlier this week, there were times when the lot open sign needed to be changed to full. So I called the dept. to have them call the Parking office to have it turned on. The first time I called, I noticed that the sign did not turn on. The second time I called, I was told that the Parking office would only change it to full only when the entire lot was reserved, not when the only available parking spots are the ones for the guests on the event list (which was the case, & so that was why I called).

This does pose a problem. There are 2 gates at the booth. Metrolift arrives to drop off & pick up handicapped clients, & the drop off area is located inside the garage. There was an employee who worked the 2nd shift for a week who was let go probably because she only raised the gate next to the booth before clocking out (she is supposed to leave both gates up because when Metrolift arrives, they have to use the outside gate due to not being able to clear the "overhang" attached to the parking booth. Metrolift contacted the university police dept. to notify them that they could not get into the garage, & the supervisor at the dept. we report to was notifed of this). Whenever I need to step away from the booth for any reason, I have to notify the office I report to. If I raise any of the 2 gates when the only available parking spots are the ones for the guests on the event list & the lot sign reads open, I cannot guarantee anyone not on the event list will not park in the garage. If I leave the gates down, then Metrolift cannot get into the garage.

What am I supposed to do?

Visitor Parking/Community Relations needs to sort this out with the Parking Office people.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
    X