This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the hold music made my day

OK, so one of the less pleasant things I have to do when I do a swing shift is to do a callaround to the other hotels to find out their rate and occupancy... well I'm doing my calls and I get to calling the Holiday Inn Express... I ask for rate and occupancy and they ask if I can hold... sure thing I say.

Well there hold "music" is a guy talking about all the great Utah locations (all Utah locations are under the same franchise and use the same advertising on hold)... anyway, they are talking about "and on your next trip also consider our Holiday Inn Express Tooelle"... now the proper way to say that town is "to-el-ah"... the guy on the hold music pronounced it "tool-ee"... and I was even halfway through a sip of water too when I heard that... our shuttle driver heard about it and thought it was so funny he actually called them and when they asked how they can help him he said "oh, nothing important, I just heard you had cool hold music, can you place me on hold, I'll just hang up after I've heard enough"

seriously though, it is really funny, but I can just see how angry the marketing guy for Utah Hospitality (the company that owns all the Holiday Inn Expresses in Utah) must be listening to that
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Man that's awesome! Makes me want to call that hotel just to hear it for myself.

*looks up Salt Lake hotels on yellow pages*

Comment

What the hell is a Tooelle?
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
        What the hell is a Tooelle?
        it's a town roughly 30 miles to the west of Salt Lake City... it's primary reason for existing, other than as a commuter town for salt lake, is for the army munitions depot.

Comment

Man, do I hate the call around.

SC
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I luckily don't have to do call arounds (although lately the Sleep Inn has been calling every single bloody night), but if I noticed the hotels' name was pronounced wrong I just might call back and try to let em know lol
            When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

We're supposed to do call around but no one at my hotel does it because.... well.... everyone else already calls us. So while they're on the line I ask them what their R&O is.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

HI

I just started working eve and overnights at a hotel. Actually im training on all the shifts for now so I can learn the ropes.

So far its pretty fun...lots to learn at first but thats cool.

I previously worked doing sales for cable and wireless phone, have been doing that a while
                , actually still am part time for now.

I have posted on here a few times but for a while.

Its usually our hotel that does the call around. So as the rookie they have had me do it...lol

any thoughts for a hotel new hire...

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  Man, do I hate the call around.

SC
                  May not be a problem. Supposedly there is a "price-fixing" lawsuit in CT.

As of very recently, we aren't allowed to do them anymore.....

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                    May not be a problem. Supposedly there is a "price-fixing" lawsuit in CT.

As of very recently, we aren't allowed to do them anymore.....
                    really... I find that interesting that they think the call around is for price fixing... most would consider it the market at work... I've actually seen quite a few times where at the airport there are hotels that do the call around not to make sure they have the same price but to make sure they have the lowest price (we're kinda sorta one of them... it's more common for me to lower the price after doing a call around than raise it).

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      anyway, they are talking about "and on your next trip also consider our Holiday Inn Express Tooelle"... now the proper way to say that town is "to-el-ah"... the guy on the hold music pronounced it "tool-ee"...
                      Back when I lived in Arizona, I remember seeing out-of-staters call that big city in Southeast Arizona "Tuck's Son*"! It's always a good idea to ask for the correct pronunciation before you make the announcement.

*for those who don't know what I mean, I'm referring to the city of Tucson, which is actually pronounced "too-sawn"
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth 50 mission cap View Post
                        HI

I just started working eve and overnights at a hotel. Actually im training on all the shifts for now so I can learn the ropes.

So far its pretty fun...lots to learn at first but thats cool.

I previously worked doing sales for cable and wireless phone, have been doing that a while
                        , actually still am part time for now.

I have posted on here a few times but for a while.

Its usually our hotel that does the call around. So as the rookie they have had me do it...lol

any thoughts for a hotel new hire...

uh run!

No, just kidding. In all honestly, though, you will learn quicker then in even retail how petty people are once you offer them a room to stay in for the night. About 80% of the guests are decent & rational people. The 20% drive you to sites such as this... And those 20% you will prolly see and hear from more then you really want to. They want want want, complain complain complain, manager manager manager, money back money back money back, and write cooperate even when they get everything they want. This tells me that roughly 20% of the average population needs to go far far away.

The 80% appreciate everything you do, even if it's just check them in. They like to strike up conversation and are genuine people who are just making a living and understand you are as well. I am totally fine when these people have issues with their room or stay.
                        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                          uh run!

The 80% appreciate everything you do, even if it's just check them in. They like to strike up conversation and are genuine people who are just making a living and understand you are as well. I am totally fine when these people have issues with their room or stay.
                          oh I love those people... especially when I get the distressed passengers like that... it's so refreshing after listening to people bitch at me because of delta's problems.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            oh I love those people... especially when I get the distressed passengers like that... it's so refreshing after listening to people bitch at me because of delta's problems.
                            Yeah totally. I mean, we are trained to be empathic but honestly when it's like every 10 people damn! I mean, how much empathy can I give after all of that? Life sucks sometimes, I know seriously! I mean, look at me! I am here listening to you!

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                              Yeah totally. I mean, we are trained to be empathic but honestly when it's like every 10 people damn! I mean, how much empathy can I give after all of that? Life sucks sometimes, I know seriously! I mean, look at me! I am here listening to you!
                              every 10th person... oh God, how I envy you... on a bad night over 25% of our rooms will be paid for by Delta... and those are just the ones Delta pays for... we'll easily have another 25% that are paying for themselves (so that would be one in every 2 )

Comment

Working...
                              X