This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision

So the word now is we may go to overnights after all. But it's only a small chance this will happen. Or something.

Apparently, store manager and/or corporate is telling our manager and supervisor that if we stay on days during the holiday rush, we have to make damn sure we have all our pallets off the floor before opening, and have everything filled within 5 hours. Stuff on flatbed carts will be okay to have on the floor after opening.

This wouldn't be a problem if we had a full crew but another one of our people retired and evidently won't be replaced. We did hire a new guy and he's doing the best he can. We just hope eventually he can move a little faster.

Supervisor had a couple good ideas that can help us attain this goal:

1. Once an autopull person is hired (we don't seem to have as much trouble hiring people for this job), have them come in when the store opens to do autopull. The girl who does it now will help fill truck instead. Great idea because autopulls will be way up during the holiday rush, and we'd lose her for much of the day if she had to do autopull first thing in the morning.

2. Stage housewares, domestics, HBA, home decor on pallets. Then only bring out the pallets the previous night when the truck is unloaded. The flatbeds stay in the backroom. At least this way we'll know what we have to have done by opening. But what if we can't have all the flatbeds open for the truck? Vendors use them to stash stuff they don't feel like filling or taking back, carryouts items being held are left on them, etc.

Evidently, there will be a test sometime in the future to see if we can meet the goal. I hope it is done with the 2 ideas I listed. Otherwise it would seem to me to be rigged to throw us on overnights.

Also, in order for us to get done on time, the trucks are going to have to be smaller. If they're 1500 pieces or less we can probably be done filling in time. 1600 or more and we'll be in trouble.

I just wish they'd make a decision and stick to it already.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

You've got to love the holidays right? I feel your pain as I am down one person from last year, one very quick and effecient person who just happened to also be faking inventory counts and got fired. Its going to be rough when the inventory starts doubling and tripling. I have no warehouse staff to handle my inventory so the guys and myself who are supposed to be selling will be working long hours before open and after close to get it done.
    Last edited by Big-box-retail-blues; 10-03-2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Holiday rush=hell.

No plastic bags are worse.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
      X