This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wherein smiley learns something new

Well I just had an interesting guest... he is a devout Muslim and as such prays facing Mecca... very nice guy... but had no idea how to find Mecca from here... did you know that there is actually a website you can use to find out which direction Mecca is from any address on the planet? Or that Mecca is actually to the North East from Salt Lake City (I always though it was just south of east )
    So there you have it, SE has learned something new (and this was from a guest in a comp room from the owners... hopefully they give a good word )
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Did you know that Monkey Brains is a delicacy and best served frozen? It's similar in consistency to refrigerated Frie Gras (fatty goose livers made into a pate).

Tomorrow, I'll tell you something else.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I like learning new things.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

http://www.qiblalocator.com/ is the website I belive.

It's not that mecca is immediately north east but when you take into account the earths curvature it's the shortest route (which is the way you should face to pray).

Hope that helps a little.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post

It's not that mecca is immediately north east but when you take into account the earths curvature it's the shortest route (which is the way you should face to pray).

Hope that helps a little.
          yeah, that's the part that confused me... I'm so used to looking at a flat map (in which case it is just south of east) that I forget that the straight line on the map isn't the straight line on the real planet.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Did you know that if you consume your left arm, that you will no longer have a left arm?

(very obscure webcomic reference)
            Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I know which way Mecca is, they own the bingo hall down the road
              "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
              set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Working...
              X