This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I handed in my notice :(

I've not been happy at my current job since June but kept going always thinking that maybe tomorrow would be better, maybe next week. It came to a head last week when I was actually tearful while walking to work. That surely must be a big sign to leave. I've been there 5 years and only really have a problem with my manager. On Monday he'll tell me not to do something, on Wednesday he'll tell me off for not doing it. I feel like I could be the absolute best worker ever and he'd still not be satisfied.
    Looking for a job after so long is nerve wracking too. I've got so settled in my routine that it's scary thinking of how much things are going to change. I also live in a small village so I'm in a catch 22 situation. If I take a job in the village it may be low paid but at least I'd have no bus fare to pay, If I go into town and find a better paid job it would cost about £50 a week in bus fare to get there, effectively killing the point of being better paid. I've applied to a cafe so far and the lady seemed really pleased to be asked about vacancies. She's calling me Thursday morning after looking over the rota.
    Does anyone have any interview tips? I'm like a newbie again at this.

BE POSITIVE!!

Answer every question with a smile and say NOTHING neagtive.

"Why did you leave your last position?"

"It's the enconomy.. But the owners are hoping things will turn around soon!" (Not exactly a lie.. )
    "I'm actually still there!" (LIE!)
    "I wanted to deal with the general public, people are so GREAT!!"(big fat HONKIN' LIE!!!)

Just take anything negative you want to say and put a Rose-colored spin on it. Just don't fib about things like availability or it WILL bite you in the ass!

Comment

Try to be relaxed (which is made easier by being prepared) yet alert. Be considerate but don't over-think things, direct yet tactful, and honest yet careful around difficult or sensitive topics. Of course you should be on your best behavior, but sincerity will be of much greater benefit in the long run than role-playing the "ideal job applicant" by acting phony and delivering canned responses. If for instance you're really anxious and the interviewer starts off by asking you how you are, you might say something like: "Well to be honest I'm a bit nervous." An answer like this tells the other person you're genuine enough to admit personal vulnerability, and makes it likelier for them to accept your responses during the course of the conversation.
      Anyways, every job is different so don't be too slavish to a specific technique or set of rules. The last 2 interviews I had were first at a major electronics retailer and then at a smallish upscale grocery store. I blew the first one when the interviewer asked me about employee theft, which caught me completely off-guard. I felt vaguely insulted by having to convince this guy that I neither participate in or condone thievery. I told him "I feel very strongly about theft" (true) but he wanted to know what that meant, wanted to know if I thought stealing a pack of gum was worse than stealing a television, etc. etc.. He just wanted a cookie cutter multiple choice answer but I couldn't give it to him because in considering the broader ethics of larceny I derailed.
      My interview at the grocery store went much better because I was better-prepared and the people conducting the interview were asking better questions and were respectful enough to entertain an adult conversation about my qualifications, experience, and expectations. (My resume was also drastically improved.) I got the job.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you both for your advice . It feels like a life time since I last went to interviews and from looking at the careers sections of stores websites near me it's like taking an exam these days :/
        I've got a cafe calling me tomorrow with avaliable hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Considering you've been at your last position for a long time, the best response to the "why do you want to leave" is:

"My current position no longer fulfills my employment needs."

Or "I feel like I've accomplished all I can with my current position and want to expand upon my existing skills."

Both are pretty non-committal without being critical.
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Working...
          X