X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new job

and I'm terrified!

I have technically not started yet. I have my first training day today. I'm really scared. I've not worked in this sort of job before and I'm aware that it'll mean a LOT of abuse.

It's a Market Research role, I'll be calling up people asking them if they wish to fill out a servay. Not commission based, or selling anything, just asking them if they will be happy to help and fill out the servay.

Please don't' start a debate on the wrongs and/or rights about calling people up.

But yes, anyways, I start today! Wish me luck!

I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

I did that for nine months. People tend to be more polite about it than sales calls, but you'll still get loads of weird/sucky customers. Good luck and be sure to post any awesome stories.

Comment

2 things:

1. Don't take anything personally. Now thi goes without saying, but if you get offended by hearing the click of the phone, it might not be the thing for you.

2. Ask if you have the option to hang up upon hearing no. That can save you a lot of issues from ranting people.

The job type has a pretty high turnover rate, not from any corporate issues or anything like that, but just from fatigue from the abusive customers. Don't expect to stay several years there, as you will likely suffer from a mental breakdown.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Thank you for the tips!

It seems the job is mainly filled with students that go to the surrounding Uni's. So far I know that I'll probably be in this job for Max 8 months, I've mainly got it to try and pay off my student HECS debt that I can't afford to pay off with my current job.

Other than that, it's also to gain some new skills, I HATE the phone and I'm hoping this will help me get over those fears by going head on into it. Might sound stupid but that's normally how I get over phobias. So far, it's going well...well at least today did ..........
        I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
          Other than that, it's also to gain some new skills, I HATE the phone and I'm hoping this will help me get over those fears by going head on into it.
          Uh, former telemarketer here. Just wanna say that this may not be the best way to cure a phone phobia. In fact it may aggravate it. Just saying that when you deal with the public over the phone, and they get nasty, you start dreading the calls, and thus dreading the phone.

I'll be the first to say I could be wrong, but I do believe that most phobias are a result of bad things involving the thing you are afraid of (ie: near drowning = fear of water, almost falling = fear of heights, etc.)

Just don't get your hopes up about this curing your hatred of phones.

SC
          Last edited by Ree; 11-05-2008, 11:07 AM.
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
          X