Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are occasions where I have to ask my boss if it's okay to post about certain things, or how much I have to change to post it online.

Those aren't rants, but it's celebrating getting a paper published, or getting some of the photos I took in the lab into a text book.

But bragging about those things would require linking this on-line ident with my real name.

Rants, complaints and other things are done with psuedonyms and vague descriptions. Or not done at all.

I'd love to talk more about the research we do in the lab, becuase I think it's frelling cool, but I can't. There are too few labs doing this sort of stuff on those sorts of species to assume any sort of anonymity.

I have an ex who recently married a gal. They both have LJs with their real names on there, and the LJs are linked to each other. And the gal decided the thing to do was to post about the threesome she got her husband as a wedding gift, and his thoughts/favorite parts about it on a public LJ post. There is some part of me waiting for the crap to hit the oscillator over that entry should either of them try to get jobs that require a resume, or have any sort of HR dept.

But that's probably me just being a *little* bit bitter about the whole thing, still.

Comment

This is why I am wary of using sites like Myspace and Facebook, there are people that practically have their whole lives posted on the internet for anyone to see, complete with pictures and videos!

One thing I often do when I post here is to alter information (use different dates, locations, change male managers/coworkers to female and vice-versa) or keep it vague enough that it gets the point across without being too detailed (ie. I work for a wireless company).

This site is the ONLY place I bitch about work stuff while I am on online, the rest of the bitching is usually in verbal form to my wife. LOL.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

The ACLU can't do a lot for you when most companies require you to sign a NDA as part of your hiring papers.

Comment

Sadly, I know a few people who have been fired for such things. You gotta be pretty careful when it comes to the internet and work...never know when it can come back to bite you in the arse.
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I've always been rather paranoid about my online presence. My abusive ex was better at computers than me, and stalked me for over a year. So yeah I didn't let any pictures of me get out for years, only a chosen few know my real name, etc.
            I've gotten more lax, but I'm very careful about what others may see of me online.

Comment

I should mention that I do have photos up on Facebook and Myspace. Nothing really...just one of what I look like, plus the kitties, my model pics, etc. Nothing about work in the blogs.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                Sadly, I know a few people who have been fired for such things. You gotta be pretty careful when it comes to the internet and work...never know when it can come back to bite you in the arse.
                And that's why we strongly advise people not to post too much info about themselves on here.

I think I heard about at least one company who flat-out told people they'd be fired if they posted on here.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I used to have a blog titled "All people who shop at (my store name & location) are stupid fuckers" or something to that effect. It was purely for ranting purposes.

One day I was bored and googled the name and location of my store and the blog showed up. I deleted it soon after

I never displayed my name, but if the company wanted they could probably have found out who was responsible through my ISP.

Lesson learnt
                  Last edited by Iced Coffee Man; 10-20-2008, 05:31 AM.
                  If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Unless it's with my friends on a private message board (whole board is password protected, approval needed to sign up), I am as vague as I need to be to protect myself.

Can't be too careful.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

okay I get it I get it. Stupid thehippie, she seems to think that it was uncalled for. I agree. I was dumb. I am dumb. BUT! Someone betrayed me is my point. & that alone sucks
                      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Working...
                      X