This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please go back the the slum you came from

OK, so current count on vehicles hit by someone trying to siphon gas is 2... that may go up... the security guy hasn't finished his check of the lot yet... why can't these miserable animals go back to whatever drug induced hell hole they came from and leave us civilized people who actually work to earn our living alone... and now I have to deal with city PD again... seriously, our prisons obviously aren't nearly crowded enough if these are still out on the street.

Now will this inspire the owners to install video surveillance or maybe even hire additional staff so we can have 24 hour security... oh hell no, that would cost money
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Wtf. Why are people syphoning now? Is this "International Sucking on Gas Tanks" day? My friend's g/f was hit earlier this evening, and you've had two?
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

and gas prices are going down... "Sorry, I spent my last dime on drugs..." "Oh crap, I don't even own a car!"
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

This is why I'm glad my gas tank is locked.

When I first got my car in high school, my friends would make fun of it (not me, it was a used car, so who cares?) for having a locking gas tank.

Guess what? No one's been able to steal my gas!
        I work at Walgreens.

(I'm just tired of mentioning it every time I want to relate to a story. )

Comment

I'm pretty sure my car's gas cap only opens from the inside. There's a lever under the driver's seat you pull up to open up the gas cap.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I want a locking gas tank.

What happened to the syphon proof vehicles, anyways? Are they still around?
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              I want a locking gas tank.
              Check with your dealership or mechanic. Most cars can have a lock fitted, or a replacement door with a lock installed.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Check with your dealership or mechanic. Most cars can have a lock fitted, or a replacement door with a lock installed.
                or go to autozone... they at least used to have a locking fuel cap for like $10... my mother used to have one for her RV, not because she was afraid people would siphon gas (this was back when it was $1.50 a gallon ) but because if her keyring was attatched to the fuel cap (the key wouldn't come out until after you put the cap back on) then she wouldn't leave the fuel cap behind at the gas station
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  or go to autozone... they at least used to have a locking fuel cap for like $10...
                  I think they still do. Dad had one on his '78 Toyota mainly because he left the original one...somewhere. I'm sure that 30 years later, that's the only part that hadn't rusted

Many new cars come with some sort of latching mechanism for the fuel filler. Most of these use a little lever near the driver's seat. However, they can be a bitch if they freeze shut during winter. And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience Imagine, if you will, your '00 Mazda Protege is sitting outside during a heavy snow. Said snow later melts, but freezes after the sun goes down. Then, imagine you have to get gas...and the damn fuel door won't open! Can't pry it open without damaging the release, can't heat it...for fairly obvious reasons Only answer, was to shoot some WD40 into the ice
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Most UK cars already have locking filler caps, so the crims cut your fuel lines instead.
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

too bad you can't disguise the gas tank as something else, and then have a decoy gas tank full of something like .. .o i dunno... Capsicum... so they get a mouth full of icky hot spice instead of gas.

(just remembering the story about a guy who tried siphoning off the gas from an RV and got caught... but the owner decided to not press charges cos the thief had tapped into the RV's sewage tank instead of the gas tank....)

Comment

A couple of months ago, there was a rash of vehicles getting their gas siphoned around Memphis despite the locking gas caps.

The theives would drill into the gas tank from underneath and drain out the contents.

Darwin Awards in the making.

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                          The theives would drill into the gas tank from underneath and drain out the contents.

Darwin Awards in the making.
                          Hmm...the more I think about it, I don't think so. Liquid gasoline is fairly stable, it's the gaseous form that is so dangerous about exploding. Gasoline fires/explosions usually start with the gaseous form and superheat the liquid, forming more gas, and so on until the fuel is used up (or goes boom if in a confined space). Drilling from the bottom like that, you ensure that the drill breaks through in the liquid gasoline. As long as the car isn't literally on fumes, you'd be safe. A quick tap on the tank would tell you if it's full enough to be drilled. I think you may have some very bright crooks there.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Geek King,

You're probably right. My knowledge of combustion isn't what it used to be.

Still, I think I'll stick to buying my gasoline. Less risk of being shot or run over.

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                              You're probably right. My knowledge of combustion isn't what it used to be.

Still, I think I'll stick to buying my gasoline. Less risk of being shot or run over.
                              Probably the best route, yeah.

And I hope it didn't seem like I was argueing with you, Igorina. It just tickled my inner science geek. I always did have a weakness for chemicals that go boom.
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X