This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down with displayers!

In my store's backroom right now, we have about 5 "display" pallets of detergent sitting around. Apparently, the good people at Procter & Gamble thought it would be a nifty idea to mix 10 different SKUs of Tide detergent on the same pallet, and put the bottles of detergent in open-top trays on the pallet. The idea being that a store can just drop the pallet down the middle of an aisle so that customers can shop it from all four sides.

Problem #1 with this: We aren't going to be dropping these pallets anywhere on the salesfloor. Among other things, it's too much of a risk for trip and fall and lawsuit. So we have to break down these pallets and backstock every SKU of detergent separately. We can't just put the pallet in our detergent backstock and expect people to root through it to find the one bottle of detergent they need.

Problem #2: The trays don't stack neatly like boxes of detergent do. So we end up with toppling towers of Tide in backstock, plus ginormous messes whenever these towers fall over and the bottles split open.

In fact, IMHO, displayers are generally a waste. We hardly ever put them up like the manufacturers intended. We just can't rip apart endstands or clog up the aisles with them. We usually have to open to the displayers, stock the product on the shelf where it belongs, and then backstock the loose product (if there's more than one SKU in a displayer, we can't just backstock the displayer somewhere, because it will have a display SKU and the scanners don't allow us to backstock display SKUs)

Anybody else with me? Or am I alone in this crusade?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

you are not alone...we deal with this too...they want the WHOLE ENTIRE display out on the floor usually in the middle of an aile and its hell to get past. If they MUST have a dislpaly out why not put it in an area where it is not a hazzard...only one display is needed and as it is emptyed then refill it. Or better yet....if there is empty space on the shelf just put it on the shelf with the price...I mean as soon as the 'excitement' of the product wears off its going to be on the shelf anyways...
    NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Back when I was working at OfficeMax, On every shipment, they would always send about 2-3 pallets of OfficeMax Brand copy/printer paper. Even tho, we still had about 25 pallets left to use.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Fortunately, we have enough room for the 'displayers' at my store. The back aisle (we call it the back speedway) is wide enough for them to not clog anything. We also have a nice little area in front between the registers and the deli that has plenty of room (we routinely have cars/boats/etc in there...it's a nice area haha).

Funny side note real quick on the car - we had a 'vette convertible in the store once - a promotion for something or another. One of the associates wanted to feel the leather. So she did. Well, apparently the car alarm was set (in a grocery store? Who's gonna steal it??), and she set the alarm off. At 8:30am. The whole store was like 'wtf?'....it was REALLY funny. Her face turned crimson, and she hauled lol. Good thing the store manager had the keys so he could shut it up, but it was going for a few minutes.
        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

back when i was a picker slotter these things made my day a living hell sometimes. Fortunatly with, say, dishwashing soap they have different colers so one could scan one item, count the other orange ones, and slot em all in an area. But yes a very tiresome chore indeed.
          Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

As a shopper, I despise displayers. Trying to navigate around them, trying to not get caught by them, and they never have what I'm looking for on them. It's usually just the latest fad in cleaning, or a new doodad for those obsessed with having the newest thing before the next person. If it was really that great, you wouldn't have to put it directly in my path, I'd be going out of my way to find it!
            Argh!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I used to hate those things! More often than not, they sent way more than what would actually sell during the sale, and a few times, it was something that didn't move at all. Took almost a whole year to get rid of this one pile of crap they sent. There was one time they got it right -- they put something on sale that actually moved, and I actually had to order more of it before the sale ended. But sadly, that was the exception and not the rule.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

An old manager, who we don't have anymore thank goodness, thought the perfect place for those was in the aisle right in front of the registers, so if you had more than 3 carts in a line, the line had to go around the display, try keeping THAT in order....

Despite numerous customer and employee complaints, he refused to move them untill he left

idjit.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

We call those "force-outs," which is pretty self-explanatory. Most of the time, it'll be pallets of items going on sale, such as cases of bottled water/paper towels/toilet paper/assorted cereals/you name it.

Our backroom isn't very big to begin with. It's long, but not very wide, so you can imagine how much trouble it is to have to hold those pallets in the back until we can sell down the other stuff for the current ad so these force-outs can be out on the floor for the upcoming ad.

It would make so much more sense to allow each store to order how much they may need to start off the ad with, then be able to replenish as needed.

But of course, if it makes sense, it's not allowed.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                  X