Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does home office need to **** with our lights and AC remotely???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does home office need to **** with our lights and AC remotely???

OK, I have a long standing rant. Why does home office need to be able to control the AC and lights of the store dirrectly from Bentonville, Arkansas? It is insane. Our lights went out in the whole store because something happened when the electricians where connecting the lights to the remote system. (We are going through a remodel.) What possible reason is there to be able to control that from home office. Sure have a temp sensor or something, but lately the HO has been screwing up everything.

Last April there was a heat wave down south. So they crank the AC. Unfortunatly up here in the North it was still cold outside so we are freezing our *sses off in this store. In the winter we freeze and in the summer we roast. I had a thermometer/humidistat out at the counter and on many days it would be well over 80 F and 70 % humidity INSIDE THE STORE. In the garden center it was often over 90F. (Of course the thermostat does not report humidity to HO) My clothes had salt stains on them every day I was sweating that much. Of course the customers stay the h*ll out of our store and shopped elsewhere where the concept of AC is well known. I kept telling customers to call the corporate number and complain to them.

I keep asking and never get an answer as to why home office feels the need to screw with the AC and lights from 800 miles away. The "well AC costs money, you will have to make do" explanation does not cut it. That is like telling a construction worker, "well power tools cost money, you will have to make do with a hammer and screwdriver." You are paying us by the hour to do as much work as we can. If we are sweating our body weight in fluids then we are not going to be working very fast. If you have 75 employees being paid $9 an hour any decrease in efficiency adds up really quick. Spend the $20 in electricity and cool this oven down you corporate beancounter 's.

Wow I feel alot better.
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

I don't think they are saving any money by keeping the AC on when it's cold out. I think it's just another case of "it makes sense so it's not allowed"

and if it is the store headquartered in Bentonville Arkansas that I'm thinking of, they are pretty evil to begin with, so that probably has something to do with it
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

It was really fun one day last winter when it was -30F with wind chill, and the heat hardly came on...all the cashiers were wearing jackets and gloves at the registers. Ridiculous!

Comment

A long time ago in a store far far away we had corporate controlling the AC. The cosmetics manager came upstairs one rather gross hot day with steam coming out of her ears because her product was melting (the sensors did not work) and the maintenance crew's answer made it worse. I am surprised the folks in Bentonville don't let their regional DC's control the temps (it would save them the $$ of heating up or cooling down the stores).

Comment

That is freaking crazy. If anything, I'd think it would cost them more to control it remotely than it would to allow each store to set the temp as they see fit.

One day on trash day, I saw a shipping box from said store on the curb (guess someone had used it to move a few times, it was pretty banged up). On the side of the box was "Return this carton for credit. Each box costs the company $0.80". I now wonder what shape some of those boxes make it back to corporate in (and what shape some stores receive boxes in).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I recall having a temperature situation such as this at one time. After a week or two of negotiatiating with the boss types, ending in no change, I popped the cover off my thermostat & adjusted the bimetallic strip up or down as I needed.

It worked "perfectly" from then on.
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

WOW!!! I thought my company was the only one that had their thermostat controlled by corporate several states away. I mean, I kind of suspected that it happened elsewhere, but it's such an insane thing I was hoping that no one else has to put up with it.

It's freezing in our office - nearly all the time!!! Not so bad when the weather is really hot, but in the winter, you swear our temperature controllers were controlling the office climate from an office in the tropics!
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I think this quote from my company's spokesrag perfectly sums up the mentality behind corporate-controlled climate control.

"It's not about individual comfort, it's about what's best for the company"

In my case, the corporate office is about half an hour away from my store, so we don't have any huge differences in temperature between the two locations.

The store isn't too bad in winter; the coldest place is the backroom, but that's to be expected with the drafts coming in through the overhead doors. In summer, it can be unbearable.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  I think this quote from my company's spokesrag perfectly sums up the mentality behind corporate-controlled climate control.

"It's not about individual comfort, it's about what's best for the company"
                  You mean, "It's not about your comfort, it's about what's best for the owners."

Someone kick whoever wrote this in the nuts.
                  free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
                    Don't forget to wear steel toes. Seriously, when the costomers are bitching about the temp, it is a sign that mabee it would be best for the company to cool the frigin store down a bit.
                    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

You mean, "It's not about your comfort, it's about what's best for the owners."

I second that motion!
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

would it be too much to ask that they just make it 70 degrees year-round?

this is kinda funny, because when I was a stateroom steward they taught me to turn the thermostat all the way down when my rooms were ready on embarkation day because after standing in line for hours in the sun most people want their room to be ice cold
                        "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

and if it is the store headquartered in Bentonville Arkansas that I'm thinking of, they are pretty evil to begin with, so that probably has something to do with it
                          Is it just me, or does the Borg come to mind? I have a feeling that somehow somewhere, they're going "We are (company). Resistance is futile. You *will* be assimilated."
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

They are the Borg of retail (IMO).

*imagines army of Borg with yellow smiley-face heads...that image has to exist online someplace*
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Our store has the same problem..of course...I usually don't have a problem with it, but we had an unseasonably hot summer here...and for some reason, the air conditioning never came on. We had so many complaints from customers from that one...it was always freezing in the store before...I guess Arkansas had a cooler summer or something.
                              "I'm not even supposed to BE here today!"

Comment

Working...
                              X