Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does home office need to **** with our lights and AC remotely???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never understood that either. It's pretty stupid. Sunday it was hot as hell in the store. I swear they had the heat on and it wasn't even cold outside. It's even worse when you are thrown onto a register that has no fan.

Comment

You guys need to learn something! Air con units always have a disconnect or isolator near the outdoor unit!!! And always one in the main electric distribution board!!! So even though corporate want you to freeze, you can still turn it off!!! This sort of thing really does suck though.

Its probably costing them more to run it this way than if each store could control temperature itself.

Comment

Ahhh, the evils of Bentonville, case number 123456789 and counting....lol

Yes, we have that here also, and what makes it worse is I work in and out of the coolers, so of course, I freeze all damn day.

Sooo, now I wear a sweater all day, and I am waiting for the day they make a comment on this, for in an e-mail I saw, Wal-Mart was suppose to provide company jackets for the people that work in the coolers. That letter i believe is a few years old now.

This will be so much fun when we go to uniforms...if they can't even provide the jackets, the carts, the pellet jacks (that work) the missing L-carts and enough clothes to clean with, let alone tissues in the bathrooms, how will they provide the uniforms?

Till then,...freezing my butt off in...well...........Wal-Mart.

BTW,...they claim it helps with costs if they control the temp. Of course, they base that on their temp, and not our stores.

Comment

Lowe's did the exact same thing. Thankfully, I was one of the few (maybe 3 at my store) employees who knew how to turn it up or down without corporate's approval.
          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Ironically, my store has the opposite problem - and our customers bitch about it plenty.

All of the thermostats are located in one spot. Behind a door with no airflow, near our 431 degree pizza oven. Keep in mind we have 3 huge HVAC units in a large (for a pizza place) store. Boss will set all of them at 72, the back of the store will be really comfy.. while the front? You can literally see the breath coming out of your mouth when it's 90 outside (I put a themometer on the counter and got... 45 degrees last week.. when it was 85 out). We've had a lot of customers complain about it, I'll usually sneak back and turn the front a/c off here and there to equalize it.

And my boss bitches when he gets a $2500 electric bill....

Comment

And I thought it was bad where I went to school, when they controlled the temperatures for the whole building in the office. My school was run by a bunch of cheap asses, and it was never warm enough in the winter time, except in the office, where it was always nice and toasty. Go figure.

One of my teachers figured out to outsmart them. She'd simply soak a towel in cold water from the drinking fountain and wrap it over the sensor in her classroom.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                And I thought it was bad where I went to school, when they controlled the temperatures for the whole building in the office. My school was run by a bunch of cheap asses, and it was never warm enough in the winter time, except in the office, where it was always nice and toasty. Go figure.

One of my teachers figured out to outsmart them. She'd simply soak a towel in cold water from the drinking fountain and wrap it over the sensor in her classroom.
                You didn't hear this from me, but some of the smart managers in our company figure out where the theromstats are hidden in their stores and stick hot or cold packs on the things so corprate changes the temp of thier stores.
                "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

You'd think if the Most Holy Customers were complaining, they'd do something. But they don't.

I mean, I know they don't really care about us. But they have a customer worship fetish, so what the heck is up with that?

Comment

Quoth El Barto View Post
                    You didn't hear this from me, but some of the smart managers in our company figure out where the theromstats are hidden in their stores and stick hot or cold packs on the things so corprate changes the temp of thier stores.
                    Heh heh. My manager used to do that when I worked at a certain pharmacy chain. The thing was, the first few times she did that were accidental, and we could not figure out why corporate saw fit to turn our AC all the way up in February.
                    "My mother always said, 'Feelings are like treasures...so bury them.'"

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post

Thats the same thing at my college. The townhouses (where seniors live and are supposed to be the most desirable housing) have no control over their heat or air conditioning. It is centrally controlled from the Plant Operations building. We get around the lack of heat or air conditioning in our house by placing a shot glass with an ice cube in it on top of the thermostat (in the winter to turn on the heat) or a towel we warmed in the microwave on top of the thermostat (to turn on the A/C). It's always fun to attend a college who is so cheap that they won't turn on the heat, but they will spend $75,000 on pamphlets how the students can help the college save energy and another $50,000 on TWO Jeep Libertys for Campus Safety and Security. It's just me, but I think that $125,000 could have been put to better use...but thats just me!
                      Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

Quoth El Barto View Post
                        That is so tempting to do, however that would require a ladder and I have a fear of heights.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DistantStar View Post
                          I mean, I know they don't really care about us. But they have a customer worship fetish, so what the heck is up with that?

If it makes sense, it's not allowed.

Or maybe they're just really cheap...or clueless...
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth DistantStar View Post
                            You'd think if the Most Holy Customers were complaining, they'd do something. But they don't.

If you're talking about the Juggernaut of Arkansas, they used to have a customer worship fetish, back in the Sam Walton days. They have been shifting, slowly but surely, to having an MBA mantra fetish. IE, they start worshipping certain lines (not all of them, mind you, just specific ones) on the spreadsheet, and certain tenets and buzzwords popular in business circles.

Customers rate high, but cost cutting rates higher. Besides, they can dump the customer ass-kissing onto grunts, while only They can Cut Costs properly.

It's going to put them in the same boat that Sears, Wards, K-Mart, etc., ended up in. It'll take time, but honestly, a century ago, Sears was the Unstoppable Juggernaut. It was a rough ride for them back to the point where they could sell out for even a respectable amount.

Comment

Working...
                            X