This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

If an angry customer in a vid store chucks a dvd box at you, is that a good enough reason to kick them out? I think it counts as assault, my boss does not. Who would you guy's agree with?
    Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Quoth ladyklack View Post
    If an angry customer in a vid store chucks a dvd box at you, is that a good enough reason to kick them out? I think it counts as assault, my boss does not. Who would you guy's agree with?
    Absolutely, you. I *think* throwing an object AT a person is legally considered assault (please note that I am not an attorney, police officer, or other legal professional), and I can't think of any job good enough to put up with having crimes committed against me for.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

If it hits, battery. If you are in fear of it hitting you, assault.

Remember, Assault is when they threaten to hit you.
      Battery is any unwelcome, intentional contact.

Comment

Isn't it the other way around, Raerlynn?

Comment

I'd kick them out in a heartbeat. I've had similar happen to me when a customer brought back a dvd for a refund because he said he already had it. I asked him when he bought it, he said a few days ago. I checked and we hadn't sold one in months. I told him I'd need the receipt. He said he didn't have it. I told him then I couldn't do anything. He started yelling at me and actually snapped the dvd case (with dvd case inside) in half and throw it at me.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
            Isn't it the other way around, Raerlynn?
            Actually, no.

"If the victim has been actually touched by the person committing the crime, then battery has occurred. If the victim has not actually been touched, but only threatened, then the crime is considered to be assault. http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/v...lt_battery.htm "

"The definition of assault is described as "the unlawful attempt to violently injure another person." Various types of behavior are included in the definition of assault - even threats and attempts to physically injure someone would qualify as an assault (provided the alleged assault victim was aware of the threat).

The definition of battery is described as the "unwanted touching of another person, or anything connected to that person." Considered offensive, a the definition of battery includes an intended act and without consent (permission) of the person being affected. Battery is forceful and/or violent. The primary difference between assault and battery is that battery requires more than merely the verbal threat of harm.
            http://www.lacriminaldefenseattorney...ltBattery.html "
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Simply stated, your boss is an idiot.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Not only is your boss wrong, and an idiot, he also doesn't seem to care that his employees get treated in such a manner.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth ladyklack View Post
                  ask your boss if he would have kicked you out if you had thrown the dvd box BACK at the customer
                  Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Someone threw a 5lb bag of potatoes at one of our staff once. Police caught up with her (got her licence #) and gave her an Anti Social Behaviour Order preventing her from coming near our shop.

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
                      ask your boss if he would have kicked you out if you had thrown the dvd box BACK at the customer
                      I think I love you!
                      Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

I just got to wondering: I wonder what the boss would do if the customer threw the box at him?
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

If that happened Mike, the manager would be the biggest hypocrite if he threw them out.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            I just got to wondering: I wonder what the boss would do if the customer threw the box at him?

At my store the boss would give the idiot a new DVD and a gift card.

I once had a POS spit in my face because everything in the Floral dept wasn't on sale and I wouldn't give him the sale price on a particular plant. When I reported him to the store director his solution was to send another employee over to Floral and give the POS what he wanted. I was then reprimanded for having a bad attitude.
                            Retail Haiku:
                            Depression sets in.
                            The hellhole is calling me ~
                            I don't want to go.

Comment

Working...
                            X