Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That's a cool job, hur hur hur" (RANT)

This isn't precisely an SC thing, or a Sighting, or anything I could tell, so I just stuck it in General.

I get SO. IRRITATED. When I have one of the the following conversations with people on the phone before 3 p.m.

Me: "Newsroom."
    SC: "I need to talk to someone in the sports department."
    Me: "The sports guys won't be in the office until after 3."

Then I get one of the following, each more irritating than the last.

"Well, that must be nice for them!"
    "Hey, that's the kind of job I want!"
    "Hut hut hut!" (my best description of this IDIOTIC LAUGH) "Cool job!"
    "So no one is there right now?" (I said three. It's TEN. NO! NO ONE IS HERE!)

Now, it wouldn't be so damn enraging, except I hear this 48 MILLION times a day. And most of the time, it's not said as a joke, it's said in a snotty "Oh so no one can help me!" way. And then they start trying to convince ME to do something about it. I ONLY TYPE THE OBITS!! UNTIL YOU DIE, I CAN'T HELP YOU!! ...and frankly, that sentence? Yeah, never mind...

Our sports department isn't usually populated until about 3, because sports don't usually start HAPPENING until 3. The high school football games don't start until 5 or 6 in the evening, same for basketball. Only track and golf occur during the day and those don't happen until spring, at which point a sports writer WILL be in the office during the day.

Yeah, the sports guys don't come in until late...but that's because they're out driving 200 miles a night, going around to all the piddly-farting little high school games and getting stories, racing back to the office, and flinging off articles until the wee hours of the morning. Then they go home around 2 or 3 AM. And they still have to have LIVES, you know, grocery shopping and cars and errands, etc. Their jobs are probably among the LEAST glamorous in the newsroom and GOD IT JUST IRRITATES ME WHEN PEOPLE MAKE THOSE COMMENTS OVER AND OVER.

Just...needed SO MUCH to vent that before I completely snapped at the next one. UGH! People just don't THINK! /rant
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Yeah I get something like that also. We are a little store. We have video games out for the customers to play for a little fee. Well what my owner and I decided, was to play the games, so that it would be letting the customers know, that we have them. Almost every customer that comes in, says, that they would love to have that job, to play games all day and get paid for it
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
      TAnd then they start trying to convince ME to do something about it. I ONLY TYPE THE OBITS!! UNTIL YOU DIE, I CAN'T HELP YOU!!
      (insert heavy sarcasm)

Come on now that's just substandard service you're providing. Don't you know? We're supposed to refrain from giving a flat "no", but instead offer alternative solutions. Since this person clearly isn't eligable for your help, you should be making alternate arrangements to allow the person to "become" eligable. Like advising them to jump on a traintrack?

Then again you'd have the inevitable lawsuit from the next-of-kin, but it just might be worth it

(end sarcasm)

Don't you love idiots who think they know your job better than you do?
      Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

How do these people keep getting your number? Doesn't your newsroom have someone besides the obituary-scribe to answer the telephone?
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Wow...I never get anyone wanting my job......How strange

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
            Yeah I get something like that also. We are a little store. We have video games out for the customers to play for a little fee. Well what my owner and I decided, was to play the games, so that it would be letting the customers know, that we have them. Almost every customer that comes in, says, that they would love to have that job, to play games all day and get paid for it
            Ah, yes. In my case, it's worst when I'm fixing a video game. Parts and tools all around. I'm hoping that I don't get any idiots walking through my work space. And inevitably: "Oh, man, that's gotta be the best job in the world!"

Notice the grumpy face? The "I wish the symptoms would stop changing so I could fix the damn problem" expression? Guess what? It's only occasionally the greatest job in the world. The rest of the time, it's the daily grind!

(My wife thinks it's funny watching others watch me when I'm out on a service call, testing the games. I'm doing amazing (lots of practice. Too damn much practice.) with a bored expression, and they can't figure out why.)

Comment

Working...
            X